• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello from Phoenix

Wastelander

Hello everyone,

I started training in Shuri-Ryu under Shihan Joseph Walker and Sensei Joey Johnston in central Illinois in 2006, earning the rank of San-kyu, and half-way through 2008 I moved to Phoenix, AZ (which put a hold on my training, unfortunately) and eventually picked up Judo for a while, but it wasn't my thing. A couple months ago I started training Shorin-Ryu under Sensei Richard Poage and I am LOVING being back in a karate dojo. I remember the basics techniques (although some of the names are slightly different), but the set of kata is completely different except for Naihanchi Shodan (although that still isn't exactly identical). Hopefully it won't take me too terribly long to get up to speed and feel like a real karateka again!

Aside from my training, I work on an IT help desk and do leatherwork on the side. I write a bit (just completed a young-adult zombie-horror novel and submitted it to publishers), read, play video games, and I do a little bladesmithing on occasion (I live in an apartment so I can only do it when someone with a forge invites me over, but I do enjoy it).

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt