• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Senpai?

Ti

Yes, I understand.. Now dobbersky I would like to ask, how do you call those higher ranks which are under 15 or 18 of age?

Pinoy_1 are you Filipino? I am in contact with a few Kyokushin karateka from Manila and other areas.

Not too sure how it goes in other Dojo's but in mine Only Adult grades and Blackbelts are considered higher. Junior grades (thats any grade younger than 16 would be considered as Kohai)

In my Dojo I have a Junior 1st Kyu who stands in a lower position than the Adult White belts until he gets his Junior 1st Dan, then he stands with the other Dan grades.

OSU!!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, how do you call those other higher ranks in your dojo when you are calling only senpai only the highest rank?

When Soke was alive, I addressed him in the Dojo/Hombu as Soke. When Dai-Soke was alive, I addressed him in the Dojo/Hombu as Dai-Soke.

However, I never addressed Dai-Soke, who was my Sensei, him as Senpai, nor did Dai-Soke ever address me as his Kohai at any time, although we both had an extremely close relationship that lasted well over 4 decades.

When I'm at the Hombu, I've no Senior to address because I'm the most Senior within all of the Shindokan Saitou-ryu since Soke and Dai-Soke passed away.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This a very interesting topic, and it points out something my senpai (lol) noticed a while ago: that there is a BIG difference between "senpai" in the East and "senpai" in the West.

First let me explain. In Japan "senpai" is someone who has more experience than you, not necessarily someone who out-ranks you or holds a higher position. Furthermore, this is a term and an idea used in business situations, high school and college as well, not just karate and other martial arts. So basically, in Japan if you started training karate the day after someone else, then he is your senpai. It doesn't matter if you have more natural talent or passed higher tests, a senpai has undergone more training than you, and thus is there to give you advice should you seek it.

Meanwhile, at the dojo where I train in the US, we use "senpai" labels according to rank (like most of you here). I sometimes hear our longest-training members calling a younger go-dan "senpai." I guess it's to give respect to the rank, which is all good, don't get me wrong. It just kind-of rubs me the wrong way somehow.

Personally though, I'm rather partial to Japanese way of thinking about this (even though my dojo does it the western way. Why? Well first of all, it decreases the problem of a young person holding a nidan and thinking he/she is better than an older person who has trained for years but remains a shodan. Also, an unexperienced but talented person may rise faster in the ranks, but he often can't give as good advice as a person who has had more time to lean from his mistakes.

The last part is just my opinion though, so do take it with a grain of salt.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

yes dobbersky, I am. If i am in the Phil, i'll be with kyokushin also like you.. :brow:

nweiz, with regards to this interesting topic.. there is something holding me to call them senpai in our dojo because they are kids. :D

i'm calling them by their names. Cause the oldest was like 12 or 14..

any comments pls?

yes dobbersky, I am. If i am in the Phil, i'll be with kyokushin also like you.. :brow:

Mabuhay Kuya Pinoy_1

My Wife is from Cavite, we have a home there. I aim to live there full time one day.

Salamat

Paalam

Ken

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

nweiz, with regards to this interesting topic.. there is something holding me to call them senpai in our dojo because they are kids. :D

i'm calling them by their names. Cause the oldest was like 12 or 14..

any comments pls?

I think that even if a child has more karate experience than you do, you should not have to call him/her senpai because you have more life experience. You are their senpai in life.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

If you meet people from another dojo and they out rank you rank wise, do you still call them senpai?

I do :) There's a senpai who i met he is like secretary or something of our association met him at a bunch of seminars and the tournament and I still call him senpai. even though he isnt from my dojo.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.