Ti

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say that "senpai" is reserved for the highest ranking student in ones dojo and does not carry with it a permanence such as "sensei" therefore it's use out side the dojo is not necessary except in referring to one's "senpai" in conversation.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

No. The sempai/kohai relationship is much different that that. Further, it often has nothing to do with rank.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Hello,

Senpai or sempai (both are grammatically correct however "Sempai" is phonetically correct), is more about relationship than rank.

There is (or should be) a personal bond between you and your senpai and so therefore seniors from any other group are not your senpai.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

I would say that although some may say that the Sempai/Kohai relationship is within your own Dojo, as you are a representative of your Dojo, it would make your Sensei proud if he learned that one of his students gained a reputation of being polite and honourable.

in Kyokushin, Ashihara, Enshin etc anyone of a higher grade is Sempai (upto Sandan) or Sensei (Sandan upwards) etc.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I would stick with sir and ma'am. You can't go wrong with those. They are polite and more correct than improperly using sempai.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."