• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the weapon you are learning/will be learning next?

AustinG010

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on Nunchaku.

I just signed up for an additional 6 months with my school, so we will always start learning the bo staff.

Celeste

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle." - Motto of the Navy Seals

• 4 weeks later...

I have actually learned or am in the process of learning a lot of different weapons.

At the top of my list is the Katana. That is the one I am concentrating most on right now. My signature list all the other weapons that I train with.

Weapons that I love to train with: Katana, Nunchuks, English Long Sword, French Rapier, Throwing knives, Arming Sword, Bo Staff, and English Broad Sword, and Guns.

Pain is the best instructor, but nobody likes to go to his class

• 4 weeks later...

Sai & tonfa, after my next dan testing I'll be starting kama and chucks

Shawn Vivacqua

Shotokan Karate

Ryukoku Seidokan Karate Kobudo Renmei

"True Bunkai lies in the mind of the practitioner, there is no right or wrong bunkai, only what works."

Staff

Double Short Staff

Sword

Reverse Sword

Double Short Sword

Korean Bow

Rope

Cane

Fan

Rope Staff (jool bong/ nunchaku)

Have started:

Double Jool Bong

Spear

Double Sword

Hope to learn:

Sectional Staff

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 2 months later...

I just started an oar kata, meaning last week. I have learned 3 bo kata, but learning the oar is proving to be a bit difficult for me. Maybe I am "thinking" about it too much. I enjoy learning weapons, so far having learned one sai kata, one tonfa kata, and the 3 bo kata. I would tell you the name of the oar kata, but I am embarrassed to say I can't remember the name right now.

The family that kicks together, sticks together!

• 3 weeks later...

shudokaratemomma -- If you like bo, you will probably really enjoy the oar, AKA kaibo or eiku. You are right, it is a little harder, because it is not symmetrical. It is obvious which end is the oar end, but not so obvious, when doing a kata, which side of the blade should be facing out. I like it because it has more weight than the bo, so you can generate more power.

We do not do a lot of different weapons in our school, but have a lot of weapons kata. We only do bo, sai, kaibo, and tonfa at this time. The first 3 kaibo kata we do are kaibo ten no kata, kaibo jiin no kata, and kaibo chi no kata. These are for 1st kyu, shodan-ho, and shodan respectively. There are some others, but I haven't learned them yet. Have fun! :)