• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the weapon you are learning/will be learning next?

AustinG010

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do Shotokan Karate, but you're learning a Chinese weapon? Am I missing something here?

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

You do Shotokan Karate, but you're learning a Chinese weapon? Am I missing something here?
At the dojo I train at theres a kajukenbo kung fu instructer and he teaches Chinese weapons to the ones who do shotokan, that is the ones who are intrested.

Does he teach both Kajukenbo and Kung Fu/Chinese Chuanfa? or does he teach just Kajukenbo? I can see how the Quan dao would be in Kajukenbo, because part of the style is derived from Chinese Chuanfa, but Kanjukenbo is not Chinese Chuanfa. Kajukenbo was created in Hawaii, and I would consider it an American martial art, because it's an eclectic mix of the styles that were present in Hawaii. Those include martial arts from China, Japan, Korea, the Philippines, and the United States. Soap box rant over, good luck learning the Quan dao.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I am currently learning the use of the nunti (nunte bo). My sensei is teaching me Takemyoshi no Nunte-bo Dai Ichi

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 9 months later...

Currently working on the Tuifa, once I pass my next Dan, I have promised myself to start with the Eku. I have learned 3 Tonfa Kata (HamaHiga, MatsuHiga and Yaraguwa).

Student of Isshin Ryu since 1984, currently studying Kobudo-focusing on the Tuifa.

I'm still completely in love with my Sai despite only knowing a couple of kata. I would like to learn some Jo as it is the most commonplace weapon available but I tried Aiki-Jo once and didn't really get on with it (too much flipping and rolling).