• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The low sudo

Typically when doing a double knifehand or sudo chop one hand is flat against the chest like you are holding a glass of water and the other is chopping, finger tips eye level, elbow slightly bent. With the low sudo one hand is chopping a fist and a thumb from just above the knee and the other is on the chest at an angle or at an angle just above the knot of your belt? I have seen both.

Your thoughts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks. I will analyze my hand positions again the next time I am doing a form involving that in class in the mirrors. My old instructor always said, 'Just above the knot of your belt' and my current instructor says 'On your solorplexes!' I want to make sure that I am teaching it properly.

I do it half way between my solar plexus and my belly button (for lack of a more technical term). I don't know that using ones belt knot would be an accurate indicator as people "wear" their belts at different heights. IE some people wear it lower on their hips and some higher on their waists.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Hope I'm understanding what you're describing... The low knifehand guarding block for us is the rear hand guarding the groin area, roughly in line with the forward hand which is below the level of the hip, roughly above the top half of the thigh. A middle guarding block has the rear hand at solar plexus level and leading hand with the striking part to shoulder height.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Hope I'm understanding what you're describing... The low knifehand guarding block for us is the rear hand guarding the groin area, roughly in line with the forward hand which is below the level of the hip, roughly above the top half of the thigh. A middle guarding block has the rear hand at solar plexus level and leading hand with the striking part to shoulder height.
Agreed here.