• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Inverted Round Kick Vs. Twist Kick

To me, they are the same kick. I've heard this kick refered as a few different things: Twist kick, inverted round house, and reverse saber.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough, we were breaking with this technique in class yesterday :D

I wondered about breaking with this kick since it was brought up, Danielle, and I watched board-breaking with kicks at the dojang just this Friday.

I understand it has to be with the ball of the foot, but is it more challenging than a regular roundhouse; i.e., that you don't strike with the toes? Is the board placed at a certain angle?

And if this kick is used, is it really useful only to the face?

I think it is more challenging, took a few goes for me to get it and we were doing the low section version, aimed at the inside of the opponent's thigh or knee. It's a really difficult kick with respect to keeping the toes pulled back and ensuring that its the ball of the foot that connects because you have to get the full twist on it. Also harder because you can't swing your mass into the same as a roundhouse, it is a lot more technical.

You place the board directly to the side and step through and kick outwards. Same position for a middle kick. High twisting kicks for us are directed back over the shoulder as if the person was behind you so the board is held behind.

The link was what I would call the twist kick. This is a tough kick, and I am better on my right leg with it than my left. I haven't tried any breaks with it, and I usually don't throw it very high.

• 1 month later...

hi there I'm Boualem Bouderba I've been a black belt in Tae Kwon Do for the last 2 years.

I was always told that it was a Twist Kick by my sensei.

It took me a long time to master this kick. I found that the tricky part is in maintaining balance whilst keeping your knee high to ensure that you can hit the desired target area.

Best regards

Boualem Bouderba

• 3 months later...

I once mentioned the word twist kick in front of a senior master, and he said that is what they call it in karate lol...in TKD he said we call it an inverse round kick.

Extra Credit: Does anyone know how to do a reverse round kick? ;) I'll give you a hint, it isn't a butterfly/tornado kick or whatever you want to call that jumping fake out kick.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

I once mentioned the word twist kick in front of a senior master, and he said that is what they call it in karate lol...in TKD he said we call it an inverse round kick.

Depends on the style surely because in ITF it is definitely the "twist kick". That's what its called in all the literature and I've never heard anybody call it anything else.

Extra Credit: Does anyone know how to do a reverse round kick? ;) I'll give you a hint, it isn't a butterfly/tornado kick or whatever you want to call that jumping fake out kick.

Just a guess but is it the spinning heel kick? (we actually call it the reverse turning) As in this:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Depends on the style surely because in ITF it is definitely the "twist kick". That's what its called in all the literature and I've never heard anybody call it anything else.

Just a guess but is it the spinning heel kick? (we actually call it the reverse turning) As in this:

You are actually right about the twist kick thing, in WTF i remember it being called twist kick but in ATA they don't seem to call it a twist kick...

As for your guess on the reverse round, good guess but not it. ;) I'll let you guys know tomorrow and may even post a video of me doing one.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

I think it just depends on who you hear it from. The first experience I had with it was in ATA TKD, and I was told it was called a twist kick. Some call it the twisting kick.

If you are picking the verbaige here apart using ATA vernacular, then the "reverse round kick" is actually like a reverse side kick, but you do a round kick after the reverse turning motion. I've messed with it this way before, but other than a goofy point-style technique, it really hasn't a whole lot of application. Doing a round kick after the reverse motion is a completely counter-intuitive motion. In order to do the round kick correctly, you have to get your hips into the kick, and then the reverse motion becomes nothing more than a funky way to get the kick to where you want it to go.

Now, if that's not what you are talking about, then I'll just wait for the video.

I think it just depends on who you hear it from. The first experience I had with it was in ATA TKD, and I was told it was called a twist kick. Some call it the twisting kick.

If you are picking the verbaige here apart using ATA vernacular, then the "reverse round kick" is actually like a reverse side kick, but you do a round kick after the reverse turning motion. I've messed with it this way before, but other than a goofy point-style technique, it really hasn't a whole lot of application. Doing a round kick after the reverse motion is a completely counter-intuitive motion. In order to do the round kick correctly, you have to get your hips into the kick, and then the reverse motion becomes nothing more than a funky way to get the kick to where you want it to go.

Now, if that's not what you are talking about, then I'll just wait for the video.

YES! that is exactly what I am talking about! lol It is pretty much done to confuse the opponent, who thinks you are about to do a reverse side kick but continue on and perform a round kick afterwards. I actually almost broke my ankle the first time trying this in sparring because, yes, it is reeeally counter intuitive and you better pick up your heel. The only person I've seen do this correctly is my master but i'll still put up a video tomorrow of myself doing it for the rest of you. ;)

- Bruce Lee

• 4 weeks later...