Inverted Round Kick Vs. Twist Kick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned the kick as an inverted roundhouse kick at one school, and the identical kick as a twist kick at another school.

That doesn't mean that it is ALWAYS the same though. There are always techniques that are called by two separate names and are the same technique...and are also called by those two separate names as different techniques, depending on who you are talking to.

For example a heel kick in my last school is what we call a hook kick in my new school. But what we call a swing kick in my new school, is called a heel kick at some other schools.

Confusing huh?

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I'm wondering if what's being called the inverted roundhouse kick is what's called Peet Cha Gi (cha gi just means it's a kick) in Soo Bahk Do.

In Peet Cha Gi, say your right leg is going to do a roundhouse, and let's make the head the target. Instead of your right leg roundhouse striking the left side of your opponent's head, it'll swing out and hit the right side of his head.

Same kick? If so, another name for the same thing, but this is in Korean.

BTW, the two figures in my profile icon on the left are (standing) GM Hwang, and (kneeling) GM Hwang Kee, the founder of Soo Bahk Do. The standing figure is doing Peet Cha Gi.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Hwang Kee had an awesome twist kick! :D

I'd say they are likely the same technique, with different names. But, stranger things have happened. Bruce Lee called what most of deem the round kick a hook kick.

Interesting. I have heard some people say 'Bring your knee up, to the inside and then shift your hips to kick.' And others skip that step and have you bring your knee up already pointing to the outside, foot to the inside and kick. Wondering if someone is skipping a step.

I watched the link. The way it was broken down from start to finish was what I had learned as a twist kick. Good stuff! Interesting how there are little tweaks in names/techniques from school to school.

Thanks!

I actually have a lot of difficultly working out what you guys are talking about with kick names, gotten used to it now but Gen. Choi came up with loads of different names for techniques in ITF which were "better" than the standard ones used by Karate and other striking styles... Roundhouse is a turning kick, spinning heel is reverse turning, what some styles call a crescent kick we call a vertical... etc.

I would call that kick a twisting kick or bituro chagi.

Interesting. I have heard some people say 'Bring your knee up, to the inside and then shift your hips to kick.' And others skip that step and have you bring your knee up already pointing to the outside, foot to the inside and kick. Wondering if someone is skipping a step.

I'd say the 1st method is correct for us. Its all in the hips!

Funnily enough, we were breaking with this technique in class yesterday :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I wondered about breaking with this kick since it was brought up, Danielle, and I watched board-breaking with kicks at the dojang just this Friday.

I understand it has to be with the ball of the foot, but is it more challenging than a regular roundhouse; i.e., that you don't strike with the toes? Is the board placed at a certain angle?

And if this kick is used, is it really useful only to the face?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I wondered about breaking with this kick since it was brought up, Danielle, and I watched board-breaking with kicks at the dojang just this Friday.

I understand it has to be with the ball of the foot, but is it more challenging than a regular roundhouse; i.e., that you don't strike with the toes? Is the board placed at a certain angle?

And if this kick is used, is it really useful only to the face?

I think it is more challenging, took a few goes for me to get it and we were doing the low section version, aimed at the inside of the opponent's thigh or knee. It's a really difficult kick with respect to keeping the toes pulled back and ensuring that its the ball of the foot that connects because you have to get the full twist on it. Also harder because you can't swing your mass into the same as a roundhouse, it is a lot more technical.

You place the board directly to the side and step through and kick outwards. Same position for a middle kick. High twisting kicks for us are directed back over the shoulder as if the person was behind you so the board is held behind.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius