• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Internet video

Robbo

I am looking for a good explanation and guide to carry out a side kick correctly (sokuto). I am a beginner and my side kick looks like a round house for some reason.

my problems is, do i cock the knee and rotate 45 degree? ending side on to the opponent.

if a more senior rank had a decent video tutorial link that would really help me out. But there are so many out there i aint experienced enough to say which is a good technique.

Many thanks for your time.

my style is wado ryu

This is part of my grading and although i am throwing what i believe to be a side kick out i know its technically poor. :(

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Only a suggestion but you might want to practice doing it in reverse. Start with the kick out and bing it back to the starting position. Don't try for speed as that will come later. Just do it slowly and work on the technique first. I know a lot of students have problems with this kick. I even know some higher ranks that it still looks like a round house.

Jeffrey

OSU,

With a roundhouse, you point your knee at your opponent, and then kick. The way the hips turn will make it a roundhouse every time.

With a side kick, your knee is not pointed at your opponent, but in front of you. Think about aiming with your back pocket, because the way your hip turns when you throw that kick, your back pocket will be aiming at him.

I'm not sure if this helps, but hopefully?

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

PS, meh, not sure if it is the greatest, but-

You can see where he is pointing his knee, and that he turns his other foot so that he is balanced and can use the strength of his body. I'm not sure if this is the best example, but pay attention to the way he has his knee in front of him. Never mind the rest for now, eh?

Also when doing a side kick, be sure to have your big toe pointing up, and your little toes pointing down. This will help you get your foot in the right position.

'Course I'm coming at it from a Kyokushin standpoint.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Why does everybody miss the most obvious answer?

Ask your sensei!

:roll:

That's why you're in his/her class is to learn and be taught. Right?

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

There are two types of side kicks. The snapping and the thrusting.

With the snapping side kick, I find that it's a self-inflicted knee injury waiting to happen. So I avoid it like t he plague.

With the thrusting side kick, don't think of it as a kick. Think of it as a foot stompt. But at rib level.

I've attached two decent instructional videos. The first one has a cheasy commercial, but it has very clear instructions. The 2nd is of TaeKwonDo folks who are generally exceptional at using the side kicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV12Uaejxww&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j1w--TjqVY

Montana offers sound advice here.

The typical Wado-ryu sokuto geri (as practiced in most Wado clubs' Kihon) isn't (strictly speaking) a side kick and is not done the way others have describe here or the videos shown so far.

It is a complex kick that you will struggle to get imo, simply by looking for answers on the internet.

Where are you based and what Wado group do you belong to?

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

There are two types of side kicks. The snapping and the thrusting.

With the snapping side kick, I find that it's a self-inflicted knee injury waiting to happen. So I avoid it like t he plague.

With the thrusting side kick, don't think of it as a kick. Think of it as a foot stompt. But at rib level.

I think that generally speaking, the first technique you describe is "Yoko Keage" - "Yoko" = side (or beside), "Ke"=kick and "age" means upward. In such, it is not a thrusting kick - it is an upwards jab performed with the outside edge of the foot. Performed correctly, there is no risk of hyper extending the knee joint (or no more so than when performing a Maegeri for example).

The second is a Kekomi. Again "Ke" =Kick and "Komi" means to thrust or push.

Interesting you use the word "stomp", as sometimes the latter technique is referred to as "Fumikomi" which has come to represent the word "stomp" in ma like kendo etc. It comes from the word "Fumikomu" which means to step into or break into ie a very decisive and "penetrating" action.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Hey, if you're a beginner, you really don't need to worry too much about your sokuto. However, if you want some advice, I'll just say that it is important in Wado Ryu to bring the knee straight forward as if you are about to do a front kick. Then you should twist sideways so that yes, you are side on to your opponent. The knee should still be chambered, and should also be facing side on to your opponent. When you push the ick out, you should twist your back foot so that the heel is facing in the direction of the opponent. This is where your power comes from. Don't forget to pull your leg back in before lowering it to the floor. I've made it sound really complicated, but as long as you start off low and slow, then build up speed and height, it will soon be a brilliantly powerful kick! Hope this helps, and good luck on your grading!

Which methodology should you adhere to? The methodology of the style? The methodology of your fellow martial artists? The methodology of what works the best for you? The methodology of your instructors' instructor? The methodology of your instructor? The methodology of proven martial arts champions? The methodology of the well known martial artists? Your methodology?

Another step in your journey is about to be made!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!