• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

from shotokan to kyokushin

explosive_power

I guess it will be hard to gain a belt in kyukoshin, right? men, i think this karate is brutal.. but in reality, this style is more effective than the others.

Gaining a belt in any style of the martial arts is suppose to be difficult. Besides, gaining belts is a bad reason to want to begin any martial art. Train very hard and let the belt tests take care of themselfs. I wouldn't classify Kyokushin as brutal; it's a 'hard' style. Effectiveness of any martial arts is up to the practitioner, and in that, if the style is ineffective, it's not the fault of the style, it's the fault of the practitioner.

Is this style advisable for beginners like me?

Every style has beginners and every style needs beginners. Imagine if Kyokushin no longer had any beginners for one reason or another. I think that would start the downfall of that style.

or it would be better if i join first to traditional style and switch to kyukoshin later?

No! You're a beginner in Shotokan, so, switch asap. What I'd advise you is to not switch over and over and over and over. Taste and see if Kyokushin is good for you. Whatever the style, it must fit YOU across the board!!

One final piece of advise if your going to switch to Kyokushin, and that is this. Learn a new word...SHUGYO...SUCK IT UP because you're going to need to call upon as much fortitude as you can and often!

Good luck and train harder than before!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, don't look at the name of the style to see whether one can fit into a dojo. Look at the type of students there.

If a dojo has mostly children. The level of training will be toned down for children. In constrast, if it's full of highly testosterome young men, then the level of training will be raised.

So when one gets to a Kyokushin dojo, look at the type of students that one will be training with.

but in reality, this style is more effective than the others.

Effective for what? :wink: Do not be ignorant towards other styles, you've tried one of them, right? Effectiveness is about the person, as said. where a simplified example are wing chun and aikido, whitch are both very good styles for a woman or a smaller person and anybody else who wants to learn that style. So what I mean is, that there should be considered: Is the art good for you physically, and do you like it, does it fit your principles.

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

But make sure you know when the children's classes are scheduled, versus the adult's classes!

Osu!!!

My adult's class is nothing like my kids' class. There is no body conditioning or students full contact sparring in the kids' class.

To me knockdown karate is just a different principle of Karate. I've practiced many and its dependant on the individual dojo as opposed to the "style"

Although I've never trained harder than I have in a Ashihara, Enshin Kyokushin or Muay Thai school.

Osu!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

thats a good advice and much appreciated Sensei8.. I will be training harder than what i used to. i'll push myself beyond limit..

Your right, its not about the belt. Thanks.

To explosive_power: You have trained Shotokhan so here i just talk about Kyokushin Karate.

Kyokushin and Shotokan both are big kind of Karate of Japan. But each other to different.

Kyokushin has been called Full contact by American. It true as it name. In Old Kyokushin you can do everything you trained in a Kumite competition even elbow, knee, fingers... Punches and kicks are so simple, useful and power. It has a few of Kata but you must do each Kata lesson about 1000 to 3000 times before do the next...

PS: You do Shotokan in yellow belt, i thinks that not enough to you to understands what is the Shotokan Karate. I thing you should do it until you get a black belt and you can do some another kind of Karate you want.

However good luck with Karate.

Edited by aiHung_Champion

To do your best until the last moment.

It has a few of Kata but you must do each Kata lesson about 1000 to 3000 time before do the next...

Depending much from the school..

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

OSU,

We do kata, but rarely spend much time on it in class.

Our Shihan was trained by Mas Oyama, and Mas Oyama's student and friend. We still kind of do things old school.

Oyama, apparently, wasn't the best at kata, and the kata they did changed often, though there was always a reason for the changes.

What Oyama WAS good at was fighting, haha!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

OSU,

We do kata, but rarely spend much time on it in class.

Our Shihan was trained by Mas Oyama, and Mas Oyama's student and friend. We still kind of do things old school.

Oyama, apparently, wasn't the best at kata, and the kata they did changed often, though there was always a reason for the changes.

What Oyama WAS good at was fighting, haha!

He did not highlight katas. In his own training or his teaching. But he did practise them a lot and they have always been a part of Kyokushin that you can not take away. Katas represent a big part of karates budo aspect, and if budo is taken away, it is no longer real karate. There is still different versions of all the katas.