• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

from shotokan to kyokushin

explosive_power

im a yellow belt in shotokan, had a couple of years in boxing before.

and i like shotokan karate, i just think the sparring style is not right for me.

I see kyokushin karate with the hard kicks and punches.

I think i like it more,

so what can i expect from this style of karate? im thinking of switching soon.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OSU,

Fist of all, you will say OSU a lot.

I don't know much about Shotokan, but Kyokushin is a hard style, and can be full contact. It is brutal and tough and very physically demanding. Standards tend to be high, though there is still variation in quality of instruction from school to school, from what I have heard.

Push, and endure. Train hard. Practice hard. Fight hard. Lots of contact, lots of aliveness. It's serious stuff, and there is a general philosophy of "you fight how you train," with the caveat of "don't permanently injure your classmates," of course. But, expect bruises. Expect to get nice calluses on the first two knuckles of each hand. And enjoy exploring an awesome style! :D

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

The base styles of Kyokushin are Shotokan and Goju-ryu. You're going to see a lot of similarities in the basic technique, but as stated above, the training methods are different. Kyokushin has kept on steadily updating its training methods to create good fighters. Tournament sparring is done using knockdown rules. Expect a lot of conditioning, cardio and body conditioning, and hard contact during practice.

Don't think that your Shotokan is going to help you though. Think of it more as starting over. While there is some crossover from one style of Karate to another, they're all unique. You need to get a feel for what the style is about, not just make the correct movements. If you want to switch, switch. Kyokushin can be very rewarding if you train hard.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Katas are very much different, though some of them in Kyokushin are from Shotokan. While in Shotokan, katas are done pretty smoothly and very long and low stances, in Kyokushin the stances are not as low, and much katas are supposed to do very strongly. You kind of stop in between every step.

http://www.masutatsuoyama.com/kyokushinkata.htm

----->>>

"Kyokushin kata are often categorized as "Northern Kata" or "Southern Kata," based upon their origin and development. The Northern Kata are similar to those found in Shotokan Karate, since they were developed from Mas Oyama's training under Gichin Funakoshi. Master Funakoshi in turn derived these kata from northern Chinese kempo and Shorin Ryu. The Southern Kata were developed from Mas Oyama's study of the Okinawan karate style of Goju Ryu under So Nei Chu, which in turn were derived from southern Chinese kempo. The movements in these kata are more circular and flamboyant than those in the Northern Kata."

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

If I had to choose between Shotokan and Kyokushin I would definately pick Kyokushin, Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I guess it will be hard to gain a belt in kyukoshin, right? men, i think this karate is brutal.. but in reality, this style is more effective than the others.

Is this style advisable for beginners like me? or it would be better if i join first to traditional style and switch to kyukoshin later?

Im just new to karate.. I just want to know. Thanks..

If you're interested in Kyokushin, go check it out. Every style has beginners no matter how brutal or effective it might seem. Think about Thai boxing. All of the best were raised in the system. They were definitely beginners when they started, and Muay Thai is considered the kind of striking arts by quite a few.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

Start out now, start out strong! Otherwise you might find yourself having to untrain habits that are considered bad in Kyokushin.

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Man, its like making your chest a drum.. its like non-stop bombardment with a punch.

And i'am thinking now its like a fraternity with their standard operating procedure batting your legs till its swollen.

Kyokushin is the ultimate test in karate. :karate:

I'd say Kyokushin, and its offshoots, are the most consistent test in Karate. Other styles have dojo with a similar work ethic, Gojuryu has plenty, but the quality isn't as universal.

- Tao Te Ching