• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favourite kata and why

Shotokan_Tigress

Hiya

Well I'm pretty confident that the title explains all. Which kata is your favourite and why? I'm not going to answer myself because I believe my knowledge of the kata applications is not nearly enough, but I'd love to hear (well, read to be more precise) others' opinions.

The greatest fight is the fight with oneself

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

when i was younger unsu was my favorite kata, because of the jump and it was a good tournament kata... now, my 2 favorite kata's to perform are nijushiho and gojushiho-dai (the one using neko ashi dachi in place of kokutsu dachi since sho and dai varies depending on the school)... i really like the movements in nijushiho and it would be my tournament kata if it was a little longer, so in it's place i usually do gojushiho-dai... I took 2nd place in the fska world tournament doing gojushiho-dai, and the person who won 1st was from france, he did unsu lol...

the very last tournament i entered was a local tournament and i performed gojushiho-dai and tied for 1st, so i did nijushiho for my 2nd kata/tie-breaker and ended up winning 1st... i still like unsu, but i performed that kata sooo many times, especially that jump lol my sensei had me do it so much that i had nightmares about it haha... also, back when i competed, almost everyone performed unsu in tournaments or gojushiho-sho, so dai was my way of standing out

Wankan...it's shortness doesn't dispel it's power. I love Wankan. Much is said in a ahort Kata, compared to like, Gojushiho and/or Unsu.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Wankan...it's shortness doesn't dispel it's power. I love Wankan.

:) I like wankan too!

I'd have to say that my favorite is kanku-sho though. I feel like the contrast of fast and slow in that kata is very natural and easy to pick up.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Wankan...it's shortness doesn't dispel it's power. I love Wankan.

:) I like wankan too!

I'd have to say that my favorite is kanku-sho though. I feel like the contrast of fast and slow in that kata is very natural and easy to pick up.

I did learn kanku-sho once but have long since forgotten it.

For me I always liked kanku dai it contains all the basic pinan/heian kata within it.

Its a shame I can't remember how to do it :cry:

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

For me I always liked kanku dai it contains all the basic pinan/heian kata within it.

Personally, I find kanku-dai to be the hardest kata. When I train kata I have to train with weights (sensei's orders). T_T Doing Kanku-dai three times at full speed and I'm so whipped I can't get through the rest of my senteigata.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

I like nijushiho and unsu. Probably best at Bassai dai though.

I just find them fun to do.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Before I retired from the tournament scene, Wankan was my signature Kata to perform that last year. By signature I mean that Wankan was the only Kata I'd do.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!