• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Death Blow -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIERzMMsJw0

Hello all!

Im a big fan of martial arts in films. Recently got to work with a couple of martial artists and their choreography.

Did this for fun and everyone was a volunteer.

Wanted to make a longer, more intricate fight sequence, but we ran outta time.

Wanted to see what people's thoughts were.

Good or bad.

Check out the 3 minute video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIERzMMsJw0

:-)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nice work! Image quality looks pretty good as uploaded at 720p despite the often low light and consistently deep depth-of-field.

Re the action sequences: very "film" martial arts :-). Opening with an air-borne spinning crescent kick? Finishing with a jumping outward one? :-) Big swinging motions, low-percentage technique selection, so many wasted opportunities on both sides, but I appreciate non-MAists like to see something easily understandable and this pretty much hits the nail on the head.

All up, it looks as good as any MA demo tapes I've seen, and better than the ones my friends have made :-/. Now you just need a good story. Hope you'll post more.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks for that insightful review Tony! Much appreciated. And to all those who had a chance to watch it.

I wanted to experiment with low light situations.

Particularly with the dying light bulb effect which was a technical

challenge. And we had a small budget for gear.

Yeah, I put that film together quite fast, [like 3 weeks from casting, crew, to post-production] was under a deadline for a fest.

We were sad we couldnt do more. Our fighters are way more talented in real life and well versed in "film fighting." Also, it was my first time out working with them and their safety was my top concern.

Wanted to try choreography general audiences would find entertaining and easy to follow. Most films, its always cut too fast or have unbelievable moves. [i've taken Jiujitsu in the past, but am nowhere near any kind of pro level. But appreciate all Martial Arts forms and their history.]

The script dialogue was by the film fest.

All filmmakers had to abide by their dialogue lines and 3 minute time frame. No changes whatsoever coulda been made unfortunately.

I agree, I wish the story was a lil better.

However, I have other projects in the works.

Hope to start a feature length Martial Arts film in the near future.

For now, we just want to put it out in the world and see what people thought of it.

Thanks all for watching! :-)

-- Sandstorm

------------------------------------------

Nice work! Image quality looks pretty good as uploaded at 720p despite the often low light and consistently deep depth-of-field.

Re the action sequences: very "film" martial arts :-). Opening with an air-borne spinning crescent kick? Finishing with a jumping outward one? :-) Big swinging motions, low-percentage technique selection, so many wasted opportunities on both sides, but I appreciate non-MAists like to see something easily understandable and this pretty much hits the nail on the head.

All up, it looks as good as any MA demo tapes I've seen, and better than the ones my friends have made :-/. Now you just need a good story. Hope you'll post more.

Cheers,

Tony

Awesome choreography and fight style, great video and 3 weeks? wow great job man, keep those coming. I loved choreographing moves back in the day :) a lot of fun.

Courtesy & Respect - Integrety - Self control - Perserverance - Indomitable Spirit

Thanks TKDKeller! Glad ya enjoyed it :-)
Awesome choreography and fight style, great video and 3 weeks? wow great job man, keep those coming. I loved choreographing moves back in the day :) a lot of fun.

I sure did buddy, very motivating keem them coming!

Courtesy & Respect - Integrety - Self control - Perserverance - Indomitable Spirit