• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blitz White Diamond gi - do they become less stiff?

GaryMo

I've upgraded from a regular Blitz lightweight student gi to a 14oz heavier weight Blitz White Diamond gi. The first thing I noticed was it was extremely heavy and not so flexible so I put it in the machine and on a cold wash cycle then let it dry. It almost feels like cardboard and was a nightmare to iron, according to my wife!

I'm assuming that it'll become softer and more supple the more it's worn?

I certainly hope that's the case :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Ste. I'm now happy with my White Diamond after the first one was the incorrect size.

I take a size 5 (~12.5st and 5ft 10.5") but my Sensei gave me a size 5.5 to try. It totally drowned me with the apron coming almost down to my knees.

After receiving a size 5 it was still slightly long though that's now become less of a problem after a 30 degree wash. Yes it's longer than my standard student gi and the arms shorter but I can see a benefit in that the top now doesn't ride up and the sleeves don't get in the way.

I think the 14oz material may take some getting used to though as it becomes quite heavy when it absorbs sweat. It's also like training in a sauna suit!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've not ironed either of my White Diamond Gi's now for the past 12 months. I just fold them like this

though stop short of using my belt to hold it together.

When it's unfolded I find there's hardly any creases and those that are there fall out within 10 minutes of wearing it.