• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

height for karate

explosive_power

I'm a 5ft 1 female and I have trouble finding training partners at my dojo (I usually end up being paired with young teens), but when it comes to actual inter-club events I've always been matched with an adult female of around about my size, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble.

There are men at my dojo ranging from stocky 5ft 4, to 6ft 5 beanpoles, and they all do pretty well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Match types range from street fighting, to dojo matches. In the later, size, strength, and speed are more of an advantage then the former. As a senior member in my club, I would have no problems sparring with physically stronger members, but would be more selective in other kinds of matches, or fights.

Match types range from street fighting, to dojo matches. In the later, size, strength, and speed are more of an advantage then the former. As a senior member in my club, I would have no problems sparring with physically stronger members, but would be more selective in other kinds of matches, or fights.

Sounds like your talking about light (or no) contact point sparring and that is not fighting by any means. Full contact is where the men are seperated from the boys.

How often do you spar full contact?

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

...........Sounds like your talking about light (or no) contact point sparring and that is not fighting by any means. Full contact is where the men are separated from the boys.

No, not addressing fighting, but discussing the issues regarding the topic. Besides, I see it the other way, that knowing how to walk away from full contact is what separates the men from the boys.

How often do you spar full contact?

I only have 1 or 2 training partners at my dojo that are willing to go all out so I don't get to spar full contact as often as I would like. We still manage to get a couple rounds in once every few weeks. Full contact is not the style my teacher likes as his view on things is "we all have to work in the morning" so the level of contact he promotes is light to medium contact for most karateka at our club but the few that do like to turn up the volume a little are welcome to do so with eachother.

...........Sounds like your talking about light (or no) contact point sparring and that is not fighting by any means. Full contact is where the men are separated from the boys.

No, not addressing fighting, but discussing the issues regarding the topic. Besides, I see it the other way, that knowing how to walk away from full contact is what separates the men from the boys.

I totally agree that street fighting is for fools. I wouldn't fight on the street unless there was some very, very serious need for it like saving my own life or someone elses. Street fighting for the fun of it or our of rage is silly and not conductive to the martial way. I ment full contact sactioned fights, I sorry if I didn't make that clear. I didn't want to make the impression I was speaking about street fighting at all and I'm sorry for any confusion.

I do also have respect for point fighting as control is a big part of martial arts but full contact is very useful to know exactly how effective your skills are. Better to find out with a friend\training partner where your at and what works for you than to find out in a situation with someone who isn't looking to further your skill or has no care for your safety,ect.

I think every form of sparring has its drawbacks, those little things that make it unrealistic in one way or another. But it is necessity that they must. Otherwise it wouldn't be called "sparring," it'd be called "murder."

So it's silly to bicker over one or the other being better.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

If you're talking real, full contact, you couldn't do it more than a couple times a week anyways. If you're talking about hard contact, that's a different story.

Full contact means you're out to hurt the other person or knock them unconscious. You have to draw linguistic lines in some places for people to know what you're talking about. That's why I asked that question. When you say hard contact, I know what you mean, but full contact means different things to different people.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

If you're talking real, full contact, you couldn't do it more than a couple times a week anyways. If you're talking about hard contact, that's a different story.

Full contact means you're out to hurt the other person or knock them unconscious. You have to draw linguistic lines in some places for people to know what you're talking about. That's why I asked that question. When you say hard contact, I know what you mean, but full contact means different things to different people.

Oh I've had my left hand broken twice, my right foot broken, all the tendons in my left foot torn and a couple of cracked ribs from "sparring" within the last 2 years alone and god knows how many sprains,ect. Some injuries where from from striking and some from blocking. I have no doubt that I or my partners would have been KO'd multiple times but we do utilize head gear most of the time to avoid that from happening when sparring full contact.

Anyhow, back on topic, from my experience size, weight and height do for the most part translate to an advantage in combat.