• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

gyaku tsuki, head or body

explosive_power

I never practise Shotokan Karate but

If Chudan or Jodan is not clarify in Gyaku Tsuki... You can decide ?

In Kyokushinkai, i see in my technique program :

Seiken Jodan Gyaku Tsuki...

Seiken Chudan Gyaku Tsuki...

Chudan is prefered in Kata and Kihon in most Karate styles. In reality, it depends on the size of your opponent and his build. Chudan on someone built like Mike Tyson will just tickle him pink.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chudan is prefered in Kata and Kihon in most Karate styles. In reality, it depends on the size of your opponent and his build. Chudan on someone built like Mike Tyson will just tickle him pink.

Kata has many layers and they are not always apparent. In my group, Junzuki and Gyakuzuki are practiced to middle (more) in kata as a training aid for correct movement and weight transfer (due to the target being closer to your hara / centre of mass). It is easier for a beginner to realise this - if the punch is performed to an equivalent height.

Jodan punches are a little more apparent in the higher grade kata ie Wanshu.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

We are not there to cause as much damage as possible but to perhaps warn them that their chosen path is not one of advisement and to make them rethink their choice?

You may disgree, but I would love to hear peoples views as I am open minded and happy to listen to another take on this.

I'm wouldn't be interested in trying to warn anyone of their chosen path. I'm there to take care of me in that situation.

As for "finishing" someone, its going to depend on the situation, and how threatened you feel at the time. If you double someone over with a body blow, and then follow to the head, I don't think that would constitue any kind of attempted murder. Its eliminating a threat that is still standing. If they fall down, then that changes the scenario. If they double over, and you stare at them for 10 seconds or so, watching them weeze, then that could change the scenario, too.

As far as doing something "less damaging" to the opponent, I don't think this is the goal of any self-defense. We had an exchange in our Defensive Tactics classes that went something like this:

"How hard did you hit him?"

"I hit him as hard as I possibly could."

"Why did you hit him so hard?"

"So I wouldn't have to hit him again."

I never meant that you couldn't take care of yourself, and obviously if knocking someone out because you have no other choice is the best course of action then so be it. But at the same time you are not doing it to deal as much damage as possible more just what is required.

In this country as well the reasonable force expends to kicking someone when they are on the ground full stop not just to the head. If we have been successful in putting someone to the floor we have to leave them there. We are not allowed to act out of revenge or mallace.