explosive_power

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the head isn't an easier target. The head is small and moves a lot. The body is a much larger target. The targets on the body are smaller, but if you hit hard enough, you can do damage no matter where you hit. You're more likely to miss hitting someone in the head than you think.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Because the head isn't an easier target. The head is small and moves a lot. The body is a much larger target. The targets on the body are smaller, but if you hit hard enough, you can do damage no matter where you hit. You're more likely to miss hitting someone in the head than you think.

ohh, i see sir. thank you for explaining

Also, the human skull is like a crash helmet.

Even if you were lucky enough to hit it, chances are you will hurt your hand more in the process.

Although never rule it out as an option.

Sojobo

ps. I hope you don't mind me adding this, but the compounding of the two words "Gyaku" and "Tsuki" is more correctly written "Gyakuzuki"

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

ps. I hope you don't mind me adding this, but the compounding of the two words "Gyaku" and "Tsuki" is more correctly written "Gyakuzuki"

This is interesting. Are there any other situations like this that are commonly miswritten? For example: Gedan Barrai, Age Uke...ect...

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Hi ps1,

It's one of those things that as you see it/read it you will remember I guess.

"N"'s and "M"'s are often incorrectly written as are "K"'s and "G"'s.

"Keri" means to to kick whereas "Geri" means something else entirely (I'll leave you to look that one up!!)

However when prefixed with another word like Mae (front) the "K" in "Keri" is rounded to a "G" sound ie "Maegeri".

It still means "Keri" but is is not pronounced as such in this context.

Sojobo

That's the problem with Romanizing things. There is more than one standard way to do it, and then they end up getting mixed together into something that makes zero sense.

As far as the head being a crash helmet, I agree 100%. That's why I prefer open handed techniques. If slapping someone in the side of the head is good enough for Bas Rutten, it's good enough for me haha.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

That's the problem with Romanizing things. There is more than one standard way to do it, and then they end up getting mixed together into something that makes zero sense.

As far as the head being a crash helmet, I agree 100%. That's why I prefer open handed techniques. If slapping someone in the side of the head is good enough for Bas Rutten, it's good enough for me haha.

Romanization can be confusing at times, and you are right there is more than one method.

Also; there is the thought that although a word may be spoken one way, it is more correctly written another.

Factor into this the archaic Japanese often used in very old Koryu schools and it's no wonder westerners get in a real mess.

On the subject of Koryu and getting back onto topic, it is interesting to note that in many Koryu schools "Seiken" (or punch with the front of the fist) is seldom used.

In schools created before the end of the waring states period, people fought in amour so, just like punching the skull, it was a surefire way to hurt your hand if you punched the body. Instead Atemi used to be limited to exposed areas and the head using strikes like "Kikuza" (Back fist), "Dosei" (Palm heel) and "Koppo" (Web hand).

Sojobo

BINGO!!

You only see LEO's wear a bullet proof vest to protect their body because of the body's large size compared to the head. Not that it's impossible to strike the head, but, I believe that it would be much easier to shoot the body than it would be to shoot the head. Same principal in MA; body over the head!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

here's my input...

when teaching my class for tournament competition, i stress the body because, not only is it an easier target, but you don't really have to control as opposed to a face shot... in fact, in a lot of shobu ippon tournaments that were held here, you can win if you drop your opponent with a body shot... face shots you have to control and accidents do happen... also, i hate to say this but, i had opponents fake the extent of a face shot to either get me disqualified, or get warning's against me... so i started punching full blast to the body for tournaments

that said, i bring in face masks at practice and have them gyaku full blast to face as well so they get practice doing both...

in another forum i was a member of, someone had a lot of footage of lyoto machida in karate tournaments and he threw a lot of gyaku's to the body and sometimes to the face (and he was a successful tournament competitor)... but in MMA, he became famous w/his reverse punch but he always aimed to the face and although he doesn't have a lot of finishes, he has dropped majority of his opponents w/his gyakuzuki to the face

just my 2 cents