• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Elbow block

Natural reaction, though it can damage your partner. It's sort of a tough call. On the one hand, you don't want to damage your brothers and sisters in the dojo. On the other, you fight how you train, and if you are in a situation on the street where you are in fear for your life and cannot get away, not holding back things like that can save your life.

So, control it when you can. But don't cut it out entirely.

My sensei has a NASTY habit of bringing his elbow down. It isn't something he'll ever stop. So I've adapted, learning to watch for it and try to dodge his elbow blocks. And I've started using my elbow to block more as well. Sensei ended up swinging his arm up as I brought my elbow down- the impact was hard enough that he had a bruise on his inner arm, where the elbow hit, and a BIGGER bruise on the other SIDE of his arm. Like the exit point of a bullet. Never seen something like that before.

I'm glad I didn't accidentally break his arm.

I asked him, "so, now are you going to stop blocking with your elbows so much during sparring, since you've experienced this?"

He said "Nope! I do appreciate the effect more now, though. But I'm not going to stop doing it."

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Y]ou fight how you train

True.

[T]he impact was hard enough that he had a bruise on his inner arm, where the elbow hit, and a BIGGER bruise on the other SIDE of his arm. Like the exit point of a bullet. Never seen something like that before.

That's some shot!

I asked him, "so, now are you going to stop blocking with your elbows so much during sparring, since you've experienced this?"

He said "Nope! I do appreciate the effect more now, though. But I'm not going to stop doing it."

I think he was proud of you, Evergrey! I really do!

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Thank you, Joesteph! :D

Though I can only take credit for half the blow, haha, since he was swinging his arm too. ;)

I am really really lucky to be able to train as much as I do, and got individual attention. My sensei is tough, but he's a real blessing in my life!

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I admire your dedication- it's easier to train and keep up practice with someone constantly egging you on! :}

Elbow blocks...I LOVE THEM and I can't ever see me NOT elbow blocking. That type of blocking is so easy and for me, it's so natural. Having said that, it's quite important to remember to properly align the elbow with the target. Otherwise, injury to the elbow, for one, becomes more often than not.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Aha Sensei8, should you ever visit and invite me to spar (I know better than to ask you, see I am learning to be polite, hah!) I will keep that in mind... Somehow elbows always find that one nerve in my forearm. Aiyee!

Aha Sensei8, should you ever visit and invite me to spar (I know better than to ask you, see I am learning to be polite, hah!) I will keep that in mind... Somehow elbows always find that one nerve in my forearm. Aiyee!

And in that...SHUGYO...suck it up!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Haha! Of course! Well, what it does is teach me to be aware and ready to shift trajectory if need be. And to strike and re-chamber faster. And to do some arm toughening!

OSU!