• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we do, its a form of karate.

Muay Thai seems a logical choice too although i dont have too much experience with it. :)

"Get beyond violence, yet learn to understand its ways"

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

https://www.shinkido.co.uk

We do (TKD) in non-sport sparring. But it does get used in competition too. In competition you're not supposed to but if someone catches it with their foot or shin "by accident"... :brow:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think it's a natural inclination to drop the elbow to help protect the ribs. I think it would take years and years of consciously making yourself not do so to overcome this inclination.

Exco

1st Dan Black Belt- Tang Soo Do

Certified Assistant Instructor Tang Soo Do

I think it's a natural inclination to drop the elbow to help protect the ribs. I think it would take years and years of consciously making yourself not do so to overcome this inclination.

Exco

I agree. I also agree with DWx...those elbows have a tendecy to get in the way at times. :brow:

It is a pretty natural reaction to body shots, and is very reliable. I can't think of any style that has specific rules against it in sparring.

Oh, its good to hear. My senpais were really upset when I blocked their kick with my elbows, But I did it without thinking.

I was wondering if this would be said. It isn't that the sport may specifically rule it out, although as Danielle said, it might be in tournament rules; it's likely that the instructors may discourage it.

How do they expect you to block, Nevinyrral? Is there an "approved" way?

I remember when I first sparred in a non-contact art, using elbows and shins just to block. People banged away at me, complained of pain, and though I thought to myself that we wear no gear for protection, and if it's non-contact, how much force was used in the strike that wasn't supposed to land, I eventually did what was approved. It was to sidestep and block with the arm, or just sidestep.

Edit: Shortened the post

Edited by joesteph

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I've never come across an elbow block being banned in sparring however I will say that in a friendly class learning environment I have always considered it rude to deliberately smash your elbow downward onto the top your your partners foot.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Oh, its good to hear. My senpais were really upset when I blocked their kick with my elbows, But I did it without thinking.

It's a natural reaction. I can't see why they're upset other than it may have hurt and they weren't expecting it. Unless someone laid out a rule that says no hard blocking and told you ahead of time it wasn't your fault. Forearms, elbows and shins are natural blocking surfaces on the body.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine