• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Essential Ground/Grappling Techniques for Strikers

It looks like sprawl is unanymous.

JJN and tallgeese, when you guys instruct LEOs, what kinds of things do you tend to focus on for that purpose? Does it tend to change a bit, or is it more or less the same? Do you have a specially tailored package that you like to get to the LEOs?

Gracie combatives is taught in three phases. The first phase focuses solely on staying on your feet and avoiding going to the ground, along with weapons retention skills. This includes sprawling, breaking the clinch, stacking multiple opponents and so on.

The second phase focuses on learning the ground escapes and control techniques with the focus on getting back to standing.

The third phase involves actually training BJJ and earning a BJJ blue belt.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cool, thanks, all of you guys. I would love to just be able to train BJJ. The DT club here at the college is starting back up, and they do some rolling at times, so I am looking forward to getting into some of it.

Tallgeese, the guy that runs the DT club has shown some things where he gets to the gun when in bad situations on the ground, and how to shoot so you minimize the danger to others around. Very valuable knowledge when rolling in a ditch and thinking about getting home to the family.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Looks like sprawling, knowing the dominant positions, escapes, clinch work, and break falls appear to be the minimum needed. I'll have to ask about these things the next time I'm looking at a dojo just to see what kind of answers I get.

I must say this also looks like it would be an excellent business opportunity for someone with the correct knowledge. Offer a couple of weeks of classes to go over the basics of grappling. I know I would like to work on my ground game but I have neither the time nor finances to learn two arts at once.