• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring

My feeling is that sparring lower ranks (depending on how they personally spar, and age), about 20-50% is correct. Sometimes you need to slow things down so they can learn how to react, and not discourage their improvement. Higher ranks, 50-75%. At the top of that range, a missed block can result in injury. Of course, all that goes out the window if you have a VERY strong/fast white belt, or an old/injured third dan.

Air pads (for drills) are good for 75-80%, since you can still damage the holder. And heavy bag for 80-85% (regularly). Sometimes you NEED to go higher, but much above eight-tenths takes the risk of injury too high for continuous training. The same goes for any training. Pro racers that go out and push to the absolute ragged edge crash more, causing damage to equipment and body. Pro snowboarders don't go out and do 1080s and Mctwists every day, because if they screw up they risk a broken neck.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally speaking, I do not have a problem sparring with anyone. Once you have enough "mat time", and control of your ego, sparring is "a walk in the park". I don't mean that you will be able to dominate everyone, but that you will know how to be safe, and to get the most out of every match. This however, is not to be confused with competition, or street fighting.

In our Club the Higher Ranks always take it easy on the Lower Ranks. They often do one on one teaching while Sparring. When we Spar we respect each other and we do not hit too hard. Sometimes it does happen but a quick reprimand takes care of that. Now when my Sensei fights a lower Rank he lets the lower Rank hit and he just Blocks whatever you throw at him. And often tells you what you need to do.

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

thanks for all the responses.

Lots of good info here, and even more stuff to think about, much of which never even entered my mind. This is the benefit of experience that I myself lack, and there often isn't the time to get one on one time with the instructor for a long discussion.

thanks again

Exco

1st Dan Black Belt- Tang Soo Do

Certified Assistant Instructor Tang Soo Do

Just had a very interesting class tonight. "Endurance Sparring." Everyone formed a line to one side of the floor, and one person went front and center. Each of us got to fight him one after the other. Unfortunately, with 8 people each "round" was less than a minute, but the primary was forced to fight a "fresh" opponent every "round." Still, it seemed to go by very fast.

The most difficult part was switching tactics- or rather, levels of force- between opponents. One round, I faced a short 11 year old that tends toward boxing, but hasn't fully grasped what that entails, the next I was facing a girl that spars "typical sport TKD," and the next was a guy my height, but faster and stronger.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.