• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring

I was reading another thread that talked about sparring. It got me to thinking, and wondering what everyone's philosophy was in regards to sparring.

When sparring (for the sake of argument we'll assume that those sparring are of equal rank and skill) do you emphasize control and technique or power and speed?

When I first started with MA taking TKD our instructor had the philosophy of control ALWAYS. You're training, you're not out to kill or even hurt your opponent. Contact should be made only hard enough where the person you're sparring against knows that he's been hit, and no harder. There is also always a clear back and forth to the sparring, ensuring that both sides have the chance to both attack and defend. In order to allow for those students who enjoy a little bit harder contact it could be agreed that more force would be used, though both would have to agree with it before any sparring began. As a general rule of thumb the lower rank (if mixed ranks are sparring) or the smaller of the two opponents would set the level of force used when sparring, (i.e. I'll only hit you as hard as you hit me). This always worked well, and I still tend to spar the same way, regardless of who I'm sparring.

The other side of the coin is those who spar as though it's a real world fight, only with well defined rules. They always hit hard and fast. The name of the game is to win. I've experienced this mentality in the tournament setting, which can be intimidating if you're not prepared for it.

I tend not to support the hard and fast approach, though I can see where it might have it's uses. I think much more can be learned in a give and take setting where no one is likely to get hurt.

What do you think?

Exco

1st Dan Black Belt- Tang Soo Do

Certified Assistant Instructor Tang Soo Do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually go lightly with lower ranks- letting them set the pace and trying to guide them. Some of them are timid yet. From time to time, they let loose, and I consider it a challenge to let them know what's what without going too far.

It usually feels like the black belts are trying to beat the snot out of me :lol: But I get a few good licks in too.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

When sparring (for the sake of argument we'll assume that those sparring are of equal rank and skill) do you emphasize control and technique or power and speed?

All of those.

You can't fight well without control, there must be control in technique and in power. Power comes from the technique.

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

I think control is of great importance in training, at least for me. I work in a professional setting and I don't need to be coming into work covered in cuts and bruises. With another black belt, I'm certainly willing to step things up a notch and indeed enjoy pushing the intensity up a little bit, but even still I want controlled contact.

There are some who want/desire that full-contact level of sparring and there are places you can go to for that, but its not for me, at least at this point in my life.

As for how I spar when working with someone newer, I let them set the pace and will also often intentionally give them openings. If they don't take it after a moment, I'll say something like "Hey, my rib's open" or "My head's open". As they get better, I'll stop pointing the openings out, and eventually stop intentionally giving them openings so that they have to find openings on their own and earn them. When working with a beginning student I view it not as much as my sparring time, but my teaching time and their sparring time.

One should be emphasizing all those attributes while sparring. Because if you don't while sparring, they won't be there when it comes time to defend yourself.

You can have good control and still have power, speed, and all that good stuff. If you are throwing slow techniques in order to control them, then everyone involved misses the point. And good training.

The other side of the coin is those who spar as though it's a real world fight, only with well defined rules. They always hit hard and fast. The name of the game is to win. I've experienced this mentality in the tournament setting, which can be intimidating if you're not prepared for it.

When it comes time to defend oneself, this is what it is going to be like. No, you don't have to spar and get pounded everytime, but some aggressiveness is good to experience, as well as some contact.

The day in, day out grind of sparring should focus mainly on technique and control. That's the cornerstone of all other attributes of the game. Not to mention that constant heavy contact, especially to the head is just asking for a short career.

Now, you do need to turn it up occasionally to keep things real. How often really depends on your usage of the art and the consequences of not being at the top of your form. However, it's important to note that the heavy contact stuff should still show the technique you've been striving to develop. If it doesn't, then there's a disconnect in your training and you're not developing as well or as quickly as you could be and it's time to get diagnostic about what you're doing.

Often, I find, this is due to a disconnect between what one's perceived goals are and what one is actually training to do. But that's another post.

I agree. I don't think that just slugging it out at each other, going for knockouts and injuries all the time, is the right way to train. But, the training should develop speed, timing, and power, and it should all be controlled at the same time.

My advice is to choose partners wisely. Some people don't have it in them to take any sort of pain or discomfort and yet others thrive off of it. Control and technique are crucial and when I roll I look to catch submissions so clean there is little to no resistance. This is something I emphasize to my students. it's not so important to win on the mats as it is to learn and get better.

On the other side of the coin you are in a safe environment and should expand on your comfort zones. Much easier to do in grappling of course. I have Law Enforcement Officers who quit when someone gets on top of them or they get tired. I try to express to them that they are in a safe place where they can push through their wanting to give up. I tell them to imagine they are laying in a ditch with someone on top of them who intends on taking their life. No one is coming to back them up, the radio is broken and the only person who can insure they go home that night is them. Now this is an extreme scenario but my point is their training at some point should reflect as close to real scenario and discomfort as possible. sometimes. This way you know you can take it, that you can see it through. I think if you have never been knocked on your butt, you should try it. Now I realize this isn't for everyone. But I encourage even my ladies to test their perceived limitations on what they can withstand. Most of us may never encounter that do or die situation, but wouldn't it be uplifting to know you can reach down deep?

Edited by JiuJitsuNation