• 10 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One problem with full contact is that both of you will be more concerned with defence which is not conducive to you trying out different techniques that you learn during training.Some contact is good to get a feel of how it feel to hit and get hit however, sparring is more to ensure that you try all the techniques effectively and your movements, positioning is fluid.....

One problem with full contact is that both of you will be more concerned with defence which is not conducive to you trying out different techniques that you learn during training.Some contact is good to get a feel of how it feel to hit and get hit however, sparring is more to ensure that you try all the techniques effectively and your movements, positioning is fluid.....

There is truth in that insofar as beginners can easily be made gunshy. It's also hard to use new things under heavy pressure. But I firmly believe that I could walk through anyone that has never sparred over 50 percent power.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Actually, I started working on defense way later than working on offense. I only started really working on blocking at my instructor's insistence- my strategy was to soak and then not give them another change to press forward on the attack, by raising my level of aggression instead.

I guess it depends on what level of aggression and fighting spirit you have.

Of course, they broke me of never blocking my throwing in face punches too. It's a heck of a lot harder to soak face strikes!

Anyway, it hasn't generally been an issue for me.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

To me, sparring is different than fighting in a competition so the most I usually go in class is light to moderate. Depending on my partner sometimes we may bang it out a lot harder than usual, and the occasional high kick does get through that clocks you a good one, but fighting in class is always different than fighting in a competition.

Your partner dictates how hard you will go. I do agree with what was said earlier though: it's bad news to go full contact all the time, every time, as it'll eventually wear you down. You can train hard, you just need to train smart as well.

Precisely - I agree.

Your there to train mutually with someone, not to knock out every other student in the dojo.

Everyone is (or should be) there for the same reason - to better themselves. It comes down to how hard people want to go. If you want to fight at 100% and really cause some damage, enter a full-contact or bare-knuckle tournament.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

To me, sparring is different than fighting in a competition so the most I usually go in class is light to moderate. Depending on my partner sometimes we may bang it out a lot harder than usual, and the occasional high kick does get through that clocks you a good one, but fighting in class is always different than fighting in a competition.

Your partner dictates how hard you will go. I do agree with what was said earlier though: it's bad news to go full contact all the time, every time, as it'll eventually wear you down. You can train hard, you just need to train smart as well.

Precisely - I agree.

Your there to train mutually with someone, not to knock out every other student in the dojo.

Everyone is (or should be) there for the same reason - to better themselves. It comes down to how hard people want to go. If you want to fight at 100% and really cause some damage, enter a full-contact or bare-knuckle tournament.

Excellent, this is exactly what its about.

In our resepctive dojos we are there to help and assist each other. It doesn't make any sense to knock someone out in our own Dojo as it doesn't help that person learn anything.

I watched a Dan Grading and I was disappointed in the levels of Sparring that was happening amongst other things. The Candidate grading was "knocked out" 3 or 4 times during the 30 min onslaught or opponnents. I can't believe someone can be knocked out cold and then within seconds of getting to their feet be ready to rumble again so quickly. Personally, I would have failed the candidate for that particular grading but it wasn't my Dojo.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)