• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

k, my problem is that i want to change my martial art to something more desireable like shotokan or taekwon-do or wing chung. i take muay thai, its amazing if you want to get in shape or fight a war, but thats all it offers me, i WOULD move to another martial art but when i try to,reality hits me in the face, thai boxing gives me great techniques for self defence(my school is realy screwy) and i cant move to something that takes a long while to get the swing of,and reading some posts here i would say the ma's i mentioned are not very well suited for real life situations(but i guess only pppl that dont take the art critisize it). i dunno what to do, i really want to try somthing new . what should i do

Patrick gubek

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To become good and understand or attempt to understand a art like Shotokan or the others you talked about its going to take time. There is no quick fix.

However if you have been in Thai for some time Im sure you will have very good SD and fighting skills.

I don't see the change being as hard as you seem to think it is. I can't speak for the others but Shotokan will drill and drill basics in you at first then we dril and dril kata.

If this don't work I sugest staying with Thai and saving up enough money to take both for a month or so and see if you like it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

wing chun is meant to be learned pretty fast i think, but probably not as fast as muay thai. and all the arts are suited for real life situations.... but i guess it all comes down to how/where you train. :grin:

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

I would say Aikido, but it takes many years to start to understand it. Remember that "The only reward of the easy path is that it is easy" ( I know thats someones signature, but I thought it was useful here). Wing Chun also takes along time to get into.

Why do you want to change from Mauy Thai?

Hey blood talon,

My suggestion is that you should figure out exactly what you want out of MA. Whether it be Self Defensive or a Style that caters more to the artistic side. Check out different schools and talk to the head instructor to see what her/his philosophy is and then make you decision. There are many Systems that can be artistic, as well as combative.

Hapakido, Kung Fu, Tang Soo Doo and many others are both..

In search of the Temple of Light

[color=yellow]I agree with blackI cehck out the schools in your area. People could tell you about great arts but if the sensei and dojo are **** then what people here tell you is useless. Go to the schools talk to the sensei and find out what fits your needs :) [/color]

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Hello,

I've done Shotokan, Taekwondo and a little Kung Fu and my advice is.. Stay in Thai Boxing.

Traditional arts are good, but it takes too long to be proficent on them. and from what i think you want is quick effective self defense techniques.

Stay in Muay thai and take something like Jiu-jitsu or Sambo for stand up and ground grappling.

Now, if what you want is devote yourself to learn traditional martial arts, i guess Karate and Kung Fu can do the job. Taekwondo is mostly a Sport this days . Any of those arts are fine as long as you are in a good School with a good master.

I suggest Ju jutsu. It offers the traditional aspect of character-building and discipline, and it'll make you a far more well-rounded and efficient fighter by teaching you grappling.

If grappling's not the right thing for you, just go with what you [color=blue]feel[/color] is right. You don't have to ask anyone.

If it's raw effectiveness in combat you're worried about, muay thai gives you that quickly. But if you pair that with something like what you're considering, you'll also learn discipline and concentration.

And when you can no longer learn any more from muay thai, you can always learn more from most Chinese and Japanese arts. That way you'll become a stronger, more diverse fighter as time goes on.

Most importantly, don't diss anything until you know what the heck it is. Check out a real "traditional" arts dojo or sparring match before you judge it.

Shuriken: art of Japanese blade throwing

Shorin-ryu karate with influences from White Crane Kung Fu

15 years old

[color=indigo]A suggestion to keep Muay Thai interesting: compete! It adds a whole new perspective and motivation to your training.

If you really want to quit Muay Thai, check out every school in your area. If they offer an introductory free class, TAKE IT!! If they don't, watch a beginners and an advanced class to get a "feel" for the instructor and curriculum.

As a tae kwon do practitioner, I feel that it takes a while for the self-defense aspect of the art to come into play; for a while it is just learning the basics, and i do mean a while. At least thatr's how it was for me.

I also study BJJ; I'd check that out If I were you because Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a very common combination. One is a very effective striking system, the other a very effective grappling system.

If you have any more questions about TKD or BJJ, post them! Or PM me![/color]

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!