• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

90% of fights go to the ground?

BTW, West Coast teams generally dominate in water polo. LoL.

Water Polo is a tough sport. But you can keep it. I take the wrestling any day :lol:

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three had boxing experience. We had 16 who were wrestlers.

It sounds to me like you had 20 in there with Martial Arts training. Boxing and Wrestling both count, don't they?

I generally agree with you bushido. But for the purposes of my example I needed to separate them out to illustrate their numbers.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Evergrey and JiuJitsuNation, your last posts support my earlier point that location can have an effect on how common it is for a fight would go to ground. In one case a person still stood a chance while fighting on the ground due to no interference from bystanders. In the other going to ground meant there was no chance of winning the fight due to everyone bum rushing the guy on the ground. Ground fighting looks like it might be more useful in one of these areas over the other.

Part of it is going to have to do with the logistics of the situation. If you each have the same or close to the same number of friends around, then the likelyhood of getting kicked by an outsider are less, because you have more people to back each other up. Now, if you wander into uncharted territory where it is one surrounded by 4 or 5, then those checks and balances won't be there.

Part of it is going to have to do with the logistics of the situation. If you each have the same or close to the same number of friends around, then the likelyhood of getting kicked by an outsider are less, because you have more people to back each other up. Now, if you wander into uncharted territory where it is one surrounded by 4 or 5, then those checks and balances won't be there.

True story. My answer to that is the same as when someone says (to me about jiu jitsu) what about in an alley where there is broken glass and syringes? I say where the heck am I? Why am I there? Just not a scenario I'll find myself in. Because the first line of defense is common sense. Seems to me a lot of people have some scene from a Charles Bronson movie in their mind when it comes to self defense. If you live in one of these areas and choose to stay there (I didn't, I moved) you should probably carry a gun, a knife, have a couple BIG dogs and lots of friends and a curfew.

Haha, JJN, let me tell you, I got as far away as fast as I could! When you're a kid though, you really can't make that choice...

I still carry a knife though. Would have a gun too, except it's the Bay Area, and good luck with that.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

True story. My answer to that is the same as when someone says (to me about jiu jitsu) what about in an alley where there is broken glass and syringes? I say where the heck am I? Why am I there? Just not a scenario I'll find myself in. Because the first line of defense is common sense. Seems to me a lot of people have some scene from a Charles Bronson movie in their mind when it comes to self defense. If you live in one of these areas and choose to stay there (I didn't, I moved) you should probably carry a gun, a knife, have a couple BIG dogs and lots of friends and a curfew.

I agree 100% the first line of defence is awareness. I mean half the time its not even worth getting in a fight. Its easier to ignore the person and just walk away. We are martial artists we are not thugs. Sure we may like martial art and may like fighting but that doesn't mean we actually want to get in a fight with someone.

I think there is alot of speculation about whether so and so will work in a fight. Well people miss the point, fighting on the street is dangerous who knows what can happen, there are many variables. The best thing you can do imo is to get the hell out of there. You shouldn't contemplate going to ground because you shouldn't be there in the first place but you must also be ready if in case you do end up there.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

OSU,

The more I train, the less I want to get in a real fight. I get all my aggression out in kumite anyway. And there is a difference between being a warrior and a thug!

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

And there is a difference between being a warrior and a thug!

I'm not so sure about that. Thugs can be warriors, and vice versa, I'd say. Not everyone has a code of ethics, though.

Ah, well, I suppose I am defining "warrior" as a phlisophical state of being, not "soldier" or the like...