90% of fights go to the ground?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, all strikers need to learn escapes more than they need to learn ground fighting. And I think that escapes is what all BJJ beginners focus on.

Agree, that's what i meant by takedown defence- sprawling, evasions etc

"What is a wedding? Webster's defines a wedding as the process of removing weeds from ones garden."

I'm not sure that the 90% number is right, but I think that more often than not a fight probably does go to the ground, at least one party if not both.

If it comes to LEO stats, then I most likely one person does end up on the ground, for cuffing. But, its a special situation, too, and won't happen in all "fights."

You can search for all kinds of fight footage on youtube, and start your own study, if you are interested. Then interview people who have been in altercations, and see what you learn.

With the advent of MMA, and MMA becoming more mainstream, more and more people who have been exposed to it will likely attempt it in fights, so the stat could start to go up.

I don't agree with the 90% either. Skilled in the MA or not, 90% is an unbelieveable stat because, imho, that tells me that either 90% of the people can't control themselves and/or 90% of the people don't even have a minimum of an idea of how to protect themselves...in a fight. Also, 90% of the people and 100% of all of the fights/altercations ISN'T the MMA/UFC inside of some octagon.

Don't want to go to the ground...then don't go if it's at all possible, and if one doesn't know how to counter a spear and the like, then learn everything on how to spear and how to counter a spear and the like asap. Learning how to counter a spear and the like will also teach one how to take someone to the ground. One's gotta know the mindset of both sides of the equation in order to be truly effective.

There are counters to everything, and spearing someone isn't an exception.

I'm sure that there is some percentage, but, that actual percentage will vary from person to person.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

One could argue that more than 90% of the people has zero training. So technically, 90% of fights could end up on the ground by simple incompetence.

It doesn't mean that the person who has striking-training will be taken to the ground 90% of the time.

But the public is generally stupid and can't think for themselves.

It probably is true that most fights go to the ground. Especially among those with little training. But probably not for those that have mastered stand up fighting. IMO when equals fight, especially as the match becomes extended, the odds increase the chances of going to the ground.

I always think that location is a factor that is often neglected in these discussions. It's all well and good to say that most fights go to the ground but do most fights go to ground in your specific area? Local culture, training opportunities, etc have an effect on how people fight. For example I am much more likely to come across a wrestler in the US than I am in Hong Kong.

Actually, very few universities give out wrestling scholarships in the United States. And there is no professional wrestling ... other than fake entertainment.

So you are as likely to face a wrestler in a real fight as you would a gymnast ... even in the United States.

The reason you're seeing so many American wrestlers in the MMA is that there is no professional sports for those ex-college or ex-highshool wrestlers. So they flock to the MMA. In fact, if there was no MMA gyms to train in, ex-wrestlers have no real place to train.

So you are as likely to face a wrestler in a real fight as you would a gymnast ... even in the United States.

Wrestling is the 6th most popular school sport in the united states. There are over 9500 sanctioned schools. It's actually quite likely you may come across people with a wrestling background.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Wrestling is the 6th most popular school sport in the united states. There are over 9500 sanctioned schools. It's actually quite likely you may come across people with a wrestling background.

While you're right about the rankings. I wonder how much there is of a drop off between the big three (baseball, basketball and football) and wrestling.

For example, if football got 40% of the athletes, baseball got 35%, basketball got 15%, soccer got 5%, swimming got 4%, and wrestling got 1%. That means that wrestling is the 6th most popular. But it's still only going to get only 1% of the student athletes.