• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you handle forward moving aggression?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I, personally respond with additional forward moving aggression, but my body/fighting style lend itself to that sort of thing rather well.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

The answer will depend alot on your attributes and the other persons as well. What you can do under duress and what they are willing to do to you.

The key, regardless of tactics, it aggression of your own. Wheter you meet the attack head on, move lateral, or clinch and takedown is immaterial as long as you can do those things. What's important is turning on the switch to attack.

Survival and winning in conflit is not based on a defensive mindset, it will grow out of the ability to immdiatly identify a fight and take it to the other person. Look at a bulk of street fight videos, espicially ones with ma-ist getting mopped or police dash cam vid of violent assults by an offender.

A bulk of those on the loosing end are there because they try to defend the attack, the back up and focus on not getting hit. Those that are successful meet the attack with an attack of their own. Either by cutting an angle and retaliting, beating the bad guy to the punch, taking the offender down aggressivly, or escalinging weapons, or a combination of all of the above.

Good, practical tactics are a must of course, but those will vary per person. More than anything attacking back with a proper mindset is key and under realized and under practiced by those who say the words.

There are a lot of great suggestions for what to do when you commit, here, so I'm not going to redundantly offer another.

What I will add is that, depending on your stride-length and speed, and the opponent's aggression, you don't have to fight every time someone comes in at you. I tend to do well in sparring because I control the fight; I decide when and how my opponent and I will engage. If you get to the point where you can read exactly how aggressive an opponent is--that is, is this particular forward movement going to drive through you, or will they abort if you move away--then you can make those sorts of decisions. In my mind, there is no dishonor in running away if you come back to win the fight.

Okay, maybe there is dishonor, but you still won.

(As I said at the beginning, though, this depends on height and speed. If you're 5'4" and medium-to-slow, then please disregard this suggestion. :D )

You are bound to become a buddha if you practice.

If water drips long enough, even rocks wear through.

It is not true thick skulls cannot be pierced;

people just imagine their minds are hard.

~ Shih-wu

Answer to original question: move out of the way.

One's just got to love the simplicity of this answer...and I do!! SOLID!!

:lol:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Uhm.. go.. around...?

Not sure why this is so hard for people to work out. If someone wants the space you are in, and you aren't especially attached to it, find a new and better space. Behind you generally is not better, so don't go there.

You have stance transitions, practice wandering around just using those. I'm not talking 'a couple times', i'm talking 'several laps around the gym using nothing but random stance transitions, not repeating transitions, and timing your laps'. No 'floating'. Step.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, I had my 3rd gup test, and while I'm happy to say I passed it, I did have two mishaps while doing what is supposed to be non-contact sparring.

One teen was rushing in to score (non-contact) points, and I tried for a kick that might be interpreted as a push or even stop kick, so that it's not as though he would have scored. My leg raised in a front chambered position practically reflexively, if not instinctively, and his groin was grazed. He wore no groin protector, and did feel it enough to cause him to bend down on one knee, but he was all right.

The next teen I sparred is practically a chodan, and while we were sparring, he rushed straight in. The same protective reaction occurred by me, and I don't know what attack he wanted to do, but he ran right into my knee! I don't know if a groin protector would have prevented pain, but it would have been a help. The poor kid just dropped. He needed time off by himself for awhile, and was able to return to the test, but I really felt bad.

I did say to my teacher that I feel they're both running right into me. It's not that I tried to knee anybody, but what else can be expected if someone (even though it's non-contact) practically crashes into you? She just said she'd work on it with me.

When I took contact sparring lessons at another school, I learned (wearing gear) that you can't always "bull" your way through. If your opponent is an actual adversary, he may be opening himself up to his own injury and defeat.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

First of all congrats Joe :D

From what you're describing I'd say it was both of the boys faults not yours. If that were a non-sparring situation or even a free spar where any technique could be used, there's no reason why you couldn't have kneed them properly as obviously they weren't covering for it and walked onto that. Sounds like they need to work on not rushing in and on understanding their "range" too. They shouldn't have really got to that that distance (where you were able to knee them) being wide open and without using some other technique to cover they approach, e.g. some sort of side or front kick to get them within range if they wanted to punch or whatever.

As an aside, is it dojang policy for guys to wear/not wear groin protectors? In ours its compulsory even for the littlest kids who do non-contact.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius