• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you handle forward moving aggression?

We like to parry the punch step forward at a 45 degree angle and blow out their knee with a sidekick.

if it's a wide swing we block parry the arm over and either shove, strike, or go for the knee with a kick again.

Your school doesn't fool around when it comes to self-defense, Tzu-Logic! :D

I was thinking the same thing :D Thanks for the advice :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm been working on circling around an opponent then moving in with multiple combinations. The thing is, my sparring matches have turned into slug-fests where I'm trading shots with my partner. I move in with the idea of avoiding the attack and then countering but it just doesn't seem to happen when I spar.

Anybody have any training tech that I can use to practice getting out of the way, then countering?

Great drill we use (even for tournament practice):

Stand with your back about a stance away from a wall and have your partner come at you straight on. You can't go back and have to move off to the side to counter. 10 pushups if they get you :D Best if you have a whole line of people ready to go one after another and you have to deal with them all.

Similar drill can be used where you're in a corner. If you don't have a wall you can also use markings on the ground that you're not allowed to step over.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I tend to get into slugfests a lot when I spar.

I think this is where sparring shows itself to be sport, something separate from an actual altercation. If the sparring isn't full contact, say controlled contact, you and your partner can pop away at each other all you want. If there's no facial contact, and say you've both got gear on, you can probably go to town.

If it's an actual altercation, it isn't going to help you to get into a mutual mugging. I'm not saying to expect that you're never going to get hit, but this is where Brian's "slug harder, longer, and faster than the other guy" is essential.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I tend to get into slugfests a lot when I spar. The key is being able to slug harder, longer, and faster than the other guy.

This is what my sparring matches are turning into. I don't feel like this is a bad thing because getting hit, now granted it isn't not full contact, is starting to feel like the norm.

Hi all! I've been working a lot lately so I've haven't been online much... but I have found the time to keep up with my training :)

I'm not sure my title reflects my question so let me clarify. The situation I'm thinking of can occur in a pub or in class. You are standing in one spot. Someone steps forward toward you in an aggressive manner. Do you (1) stand your ground and strike as person gets in range (I'm think front kick then punch) or (2) step to the side and strike (I'm thinking side step, roundhouse, then punch)?

What are your thoughts? I'm working with a few BBs (I'm a green belt ) and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to handle their multiple step forward attacks.

Shindokan teaches that going backwards is risky for varied reasons, therefore, we don't go backwards in any shape, way, and/or form.

We will stand our ground. We will slide angular in a forward manner. We will slip angular in a forward manner. We will step forward and/or angular. We will intercept more than evade to better aide our Tuite. Having a highly keen understanding of Ashi Sabaki is crucial at all times. If not, you're movements will be compromised before they even begin.

Getting up close and personal takes more than one could imagine because retreating is what seems to be the acceptable solution. When a Shindokanist won't. Offering a direct target to my attacker is what we want, and this is achieved by offering as little as possible any straight-on targets. This is why we angle in our offense as well as in our defense.

This doesn't mean that Shindokanists aren't attacking straight-on targets because we are attacking straight-on targets, and this is because at the contact point, our target is straight-on to US.

:)

The more I think I this post, the more I agree. I'm being pushed by a BB in my class to hold my ground when attacked and always keep advancing when i attack. It takes some getting used to but I found that I'm becoming a much better fighter. Great advice!

I tend to get into slugfests a lot when I spar. The key is being able to slug harder, longer, and faster than the other guy.

I used to do this a lot. It did used to win me most of my sparring bouts. But I think the reason I used to do it was because I wasn't so comfortable moving around, using my legs, being more agile. Slugging away at my opponent was a lot easier. Maybe you end up doing it for a different reason than me but I put a lot of effort into drills like the one I mentioned earlier and it has helped to stop me just getting in close and throwing the punches. Yes I can take the hits and slug away if I need to but if that's all my opponent can do you can run rings around them. Just go in slug away and be able to get out before they know what's him them.

GeoGiant, if you want other stuff for someone moving forward, there are a number of good drills we do using focus pads or thai pads. Bit hard to explain in writing though. The key is to have your partner hold the pads over their target areas so you can strike as if you were hitting their stomach or ribs etc. They can't stand still either, you need them to be moving as if they were sparring themselves. Also get them to throw a kick or punch at you as you move off afterwards.

Here's my favourite:

- pad holder either needs to cover their ribs if side on or their stomach if full facing. Stand toe-to-toe with the pad holder and push off to do what we call a "switch reverse". Basically a back kick but you're moving away from the target at the same time. If you get someone in the gut when they're walking forward with this it really hurts! and because you are pushing off away even if you don't land it properly they propel you backwards out of the way. Kind of hard to describe but if you can switch your stance on the spot (so your right foot ends up where your left was and your left where your right was) you're halfway there. Just need to throw the back up and out as you do the switch. Don't worry about cutting the movement short, if anything your hips should face away from the other person and the kick leg can come upwards rather than around. Really the key thing is to go backwards with it not forwards. This

at 38 secs shows it. Don't have a partner, practice it lightly against a wall where you start right against it and jump away.

You can do loads more drills with different techniques just like this.

The trick with all these drills is to do what's natural and work from there. You should try to do what's in them but if the situation means feels better to use your other leg to kick or to do something different, just do it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I remembered the term "tank" as a kind of fighter, but I thought it was in a JKD book. It turns out it's in The Little Black Book of Violence by Lawrence Kane and Kris Wilder. From pp. 190-191:

Don't Play "Tank"

You're not a heavily armored tank. It hurts to get hit. . . .

If you don't want to get hurt in a fight, you will need to move away from the strength of the other guy's attack. It is imperative to not only get off line, but also keep your attacker from being able to reorient immediately at the same time. . . .

Closing is done by moving to the outside while blocking across the opponent's body or to tie up his limbs . . . [M]oving off line and closing is taught to beginners because it is relatively easy to learn. And it works pretty well too.

This post would have fit in better if I'd found the quote earlier, but it follows the train of thought in dealing with an incoming aggressor by using a term to avoid: tank.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Your question is not what you think it is. Nor is it easy to answer.

We could all give you a myriad of techniques and opinions. But that's not really an answer.

The answer is one of preference rather than anything else. Different people will handle this in different manners. As you mature in your martial art, you will begin to prefer one method over another. Either way, it's more about movement rather than the strikes. Footwork and protecting yourself are always the most important.

Personally, I like to circle to an angle and strike to a clinch. But that's the BJJ and Karate coming out.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Edit:

The key to my way of doing it is learning your range very well and keeping out of your opponent's range. As they move in, I take the angle. They will adjust, I usually leg kick here. I take the angle again, they will adjust, I strike into the clinch.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."