• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you handle forward moving aggression?

Hi all! I've been working a lot lately so I've haven't been online much... but I have found the time to keep up with my training :)

I'm not sure my title reflects my question so let me clarify. The situation I'm thinking of can occur in a pub or in class. You are standing in one spot. Someone steps forward toward you in an aggressive manner. Do you (1) stand your ground and strike as person gets in range (I'm think front kick then punch) or (2) step to the side and strike (I'm thinking side step, roundhouse, then punch)?

What are your thoughts? I'm working with a few BBs (I'm a green belt ) and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to handle their multiple step forward attacks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That question has a ton of answers. What are you good at? That would be a good place to start. If we're talking self-defense, then using angles would be the best way to accomplish your goals. Take a 45 degree angle away from the direction of the attack going to either side, and you open up a lot of targets. Going straight backwards is a mistake, because you'll get caught eventually, think of running forward vs running backwards. Standing your ground only works if you have 1000% confidence (not a typo) that you can stop their momentum with your first shot and follow with several other strong strikes, or if you're a competent grappler, tie them up, and look for a take down.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

When I did noncontact sparring, I could move straight in to fire off my shots; when I did contact sparring, I discovered I was walking right into push kicks--using the heel in the art of the dojo--that stopped me for just enough time that my opponent could get in a shot and move out of the way, meaning I got hit and had no target in front of me for my efforts. I abandoned the frontal assault. ;)

Moving at an angle is likely better, though, because, as Isshinryu observed, "You open up a lot of targets." If you've got limited room, that push kick with the heel would be my suggestion; if you've got some elbow room, I say use it--go diagonal.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Here's an eHow video of the Muay Thai push kick, which seems to be like what I practiced against the heavy bag. Your knee has to be on top a high chamber, and if you're tall, as I believe you are, GeoGiant, I think it's an advantage in choice of where to push.

BTW, the end of the video shows a push kick with a roundhouse as a follow-up example.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2353605_do-push-kick-kickboxing.html

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Hi all! I've been working a lot lately so I've haven't been online much... but I have found the time to keep up with my training :)

I'm not sure my title reflects my question so let me clarify. The situation I'm thinking of can occur in a pub or in class. You are standing in one spot. Someone steps forward toward you in an aggressive manner. Do you (1) stand your ground and strike as person gets in range (I'm think front kick then punch) or (2) step to the side and strike (I'm thinking side step, roundhouse, then punch)?

What are your thoughts? I'm working with a few BBs (I'm a green belt ) and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to handle their multiple step forward attacks.

Shindokan teaches that going backwards is risky for varied reasons, therefore, we don't go backwards in any shape, way, and/or form.

We will stand our ground. We will slide angular in a forward manner. We will slip angular in a forward manner. We will step forward and/or angular. We will intercept more than evade to better aide our Tuite. Having a highly keen understanding of Ashi Sabaki is crucial at all times. If not, you're movements will be compromised before they even begin.

Getting up close and personal takes more than one could imagine because retreating is what seems to be the acceptable solution. When a Shindokanist won't. Offering a direct target to my attacker is what we want, and this is achieved by offering as little as possible any straight-on targets. This is why we angle in our offense as well as in our defense.

This doesn't mean that Shindokanists aren't attacking straight-on targets because we are attacking straight-on targets, and this is because at the contact point, our target is straight-on to US.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Shindokan teaches that going backwards is risky for varied reasons, therefore, we don't go backwards in any shape, way, and/or form. . . .

Getting up close and personal takes more than one could imagine because retreating is what seems to be the acceptable solution. . . . [W]e angle in our offense as well as in our defense.

Going backwards is, to me, a reflex, and only by training (lots of practice) can it be controlled to have a "replacement" reflex. Maybe one of those padded blockers, the kind that's like a stick with the padding on it, could be used by a partner who'd be thrusting it at you?

Do you think shadow boxing the angled move you've suggested to GeoGiant is a help, Bob?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Do you think shadow boxing the angled move you've suggested to GeoGiant is a help, Bob?

Interesting how you word your question Joe.

Because I believe in Shindokan, then my answer Joe is....YES! Angles are abound, and in that, martial artists need to know how to work within those angles. Backwards isn't an angle to me that's worthy of risking.

For these angled moves to be of help to anybody, they're going to need to be practiced and worked in "live" drills as well as "shadow boxing" drills.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm been working on circling around an opponent then moving in with multiple combinations. The thing is, my sparring matches have turned into slug-fests where I'm trading shots with my partner. I move in with the idea of avoiding the attack and then countering but it just doesn't seem to happen when I spar.

Anybody have any training tech that I can use to practice getting out of the way, then countering?

Thanks!

We like to parry the punch step forward at a 45 degree angle and blow out their knee with a sidekick.

if it's a wide swing we block parry the arm over and either shove, strike, or go for the knee with a kick again.

Those are the some of the first techniques we learn at my school.

A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

We like to parry the punch step forward at a 45 degree angle and blow out their knee with a sidekick.

if it's a wide swing we block parry the arm over and either shove, strike, or go for the knee with a kick again.

Your school doesn't fool around when it comes to self-defense, Tzu-Logic! :D

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu