• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about Joong Gun in Encyclopaedia of "Taekwondo

I guess its difficult to convince anyone that something works without being there in person.

Did you get a chance to try it Tony? Any thoughts?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know im responding to an old post, but my prefered application for the palm pressing blocks is a defence from a side head lock.

Eg. from headlocked position, turn face into attackers body to prevent punches into your face, reverse hand strikes up hitting with the outer forearm into opponents neck, or palm of hand into the face while the lead hand / forearm goes behind opponents knee { closest one to you}.

Then with a push down with the reverse hand and a lift up with the lead arm { same motion as twin palm pressing block ] the movement when done with speed can result in a takedown technique.

Any body have any other applications to this.

Jason

Interesting Jason, hadn't heard that take on it before. Do you have a video example? Just trying to visualise this. They way I think(?) you're describing, the upward palm under the knee and the downward palm at the shoulder? Isn't that mainly relying on the arms to do the throwing? I think from the headlock position I'd prefer to use the hip and leg for the throw as the way I think you're describing it relies a lot on strength, I'll have to try it out sometime.

Do you have any applications for the use of the block from the low stance position as in the pattern?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Hi

Yes the technique does rely on strength using the powerful muscles of the glutes and quads as well as the arm strength,

Yes its on the same principle as the upward palm to knee and the downward palm to the shoulder, though when i teach the application i take all parts of the movment into consideration thats why i include a initial strike to the throat with the outer forearm or a palm to the face before executing the downward pressing motion of the technique.

What i will do is i will post some photos later in the week to show the application step by step.

I dont have any other applications for this if i find any i will post them,

Jason

• 4 weeks later...
Do you have any applications for the use of the block from the low stance position as in the pattern?

I do, the palm pressing block as a locking technique, just prior to the angle punch as a choke, uses the low stance as an aid to push down on the oppoent.

Stuart

--- Martials Arts are not about Fighting ---

----- They are about truth -----

Could it possibly resemble an old-fashioned type of chicken-wing lock? With the move being perfromed in a slow, tension motion, it would lend itself to appear to be a steadily applied move, gradually applying the technique to the point of pain-compliance.