• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

lol, anyone else hear gojushiho sho and dai was mixed up?

likeke34

i was just talking with my instructor today, his dad was taught by kanazawa, mori and finally asai sensei, (he even taught 2 of them how to drive lol) and he was telling me that most people don't know that gojushiho sho and gojushiho dai is actually mixed up... what supposedly happened was, a high ranking instructor (i can't remember who he said it was) performed one of the two but called the wrong name, and since he was of high rank, no one corrected him... and this led to the mix up which is performed mostly everywhere today lol...

i looked it up on google to confirm it, and on another forum it is mentioned as well, but the forum is dead now and i can only see the google results which shows a short paragraph of pretty much what my sensei told me... he also told me a bunch of other stories about asai sensei, kanazawa, why some of the movements in different katas are practiced the way they are and why they were changed etc... was an interesting day lol

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, but I heard it slightly different.

I believe there is only one Gojushiho but a high ranking JKA teacher was taught an incorrect version, and to save face he simply called it Sho.

I've heard about this before, but I gave it no further thought.

As far as I'm concerned, Gojushiho needs to remain with the original names to coincide with Dai and Sho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

As far as I'm concerned, Gojushiho needs to remain with the original names to coincide with Dai and Sho!!

kanazawa actually still performs them according to their original names... lol, i find these things interesting

his gojushiho sho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLNddYfuH18

and his

gojushiho dai

and the reverse that most people (as far as i've experienced) perform gojushiho sho

gojushiho dai

• 3 weeks later...

Yeh, I've heard that too. I used to think that Dai was indicative of the lower/easier kata and Sho was the higher grade and harder kata.

As in Bassai Dai and then Sho.

Although !!! Kanku Dai is a much longer and more complex kata to Kanku Sho, however Kanku Dai is taught from 3rd kyu in Shotokan. Kanku Sho is considered a 2nd or 3rd dan kata.

Does one not mean minor and the other major or something ???

• 4 weeks later...

In the kanji for these kata quite literally "dai" means "big" and "sho" means "small" (not to be confused with tekki shodan where the "sho" means "first")

I've heard some big sensei interpret this big-vs-small concept as reference to differences in size of motion in the kata (which seems to make sense with Kanazawa sensei's way of labeling them). However, I hear my sensei and a few other big names say that it isn't the size of the motion, but the wide vs. small applications of the technique that the name is referring to (which would make sense the other way).

It makes no difference to me what you call a kata, but it's fun to think about efficacy and size of motion when training it imo.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

kanazawa actually still performs them according to their original names... lol, i find these things interesting

his gojushiho sho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLNddYfuH18

and his

gojushiho dai

and the reverse that most people (as far as i've experienced) perform gojushiho sho

gojushiho dai

Worlds apart.

**Proof is on the floor!!!