• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tom in TN

Bridge

Hi, I'm Tom from Nashville, TN. I'm 40 y/o and my kids and I are ITF Style TKD students at a local club. My 14 y/o son and I are upper green belts and my 9 y/o daughter is a blue belt. My daughter and I also play the Gracie Games in an effort to develop skills in all ranges of fighting. I've been lurking at a few TMA forums for a while to see where I thought I would feel most comfortable and karate forums seems to have the best discussions around.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome aboard KF!

What is your assessment of the Gracie games DVD series. I've been considering getting it for my kids but keep cringing at the price tag. Worth it?

Thanks for the warm welcome all. :)

Tallgeese,

I purchased only the games portion online for $30, they have it broken out into sections at the online school. For my daughter and I it was well worth it. The Junior Combatives included in the whole $120 system is a slightly scaled back version of the Gracie Combatives program (no chokes). When she's ready I will just get the regular Gracie Combatives program for her.

The grappling itself is solid/basics and the "packaging" for kids is fantastic. My daughter is very excited by the program, we adapted a version of their belt/stripe system re-using her white belt from TKD and Electrical tape for stripes. She's very motivated to put the mat time in and we have a blast. My 14 year old son who's never been into grappling keeps coming over to watch and laugh with us. Really hoping and thinking he will join us shortly. Variations of the upa,punch blocks, guard passing, mount control, side control, modified mount, double leg...all things I could teach my daughter...but their teaching technique and skill with children is well worth the money to me.

Hope that helps.