• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Air Density

I found these comments really interestin, as I have never come across this before.

I live in the mountains here in Australia (say 3500 ft above sea level) but regularly travel down to the coast (a couple of hours drive) to work, train in MA and grade.

I have never suffered from high altitude sickness or loss of breath, but one thing I can say is that the air in the mountains is a lot 'cleaner' that that around coastal Sydney, so I regularly find myself shorter of breath in lower altitudes (likely due to nitrogen oxides and other air pollutants).

Perhaps it is just to do with the areas that one is acclimatised to living in, and not actually the shift to a higher altitude?

Regardless I agree with the assertion that drinking water consistently will help!

Water = the most amazing drink in the world!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would like to add, that for the unacclimated, no amount of cardio and conditioning can prevent edema. Swelling of blood vessels, body and brain tissue due to reduced barometric pressure.

Happened to me recently while on vacation in Big Bear California (incidentally, where Tito Ortiz' trains). The town itself is 7,000ft above, with surrounding areas escalating to near 8,500. 2nd day there, the TERRIBLE headache began. Couldn't sleep.... By the 3rd day, I had some pretty bangin vascularity going on, just sitting still. Never felt winded, gassed or over exerted; again, not a lack of physical conditioning. Being from Florida, where our highest elevation is ~300ft, 7kft+ was just too much of a shock.

Descended and finished my vacation in the desert ;-)

The funny thing to me about Big Bear, CA is that IT'S NEAR LOS ANGELES, CA. One doesn't usually think of mountains that big near L.A.

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

GL rayjag!

The funny thing to me about Big Bear, CA is that IT'S NEAR LOS ANGELES, CA. One doesn't usually think of mountains that big near L.A.

:P

Strange, huh? You get there and for all you'd know -- you may as well be in a whole other country. No trace of the dank smog from the LA basin, no traffic.....just pine trees, mountains and the lake in sight ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone! The trip was interesting. I was able to get there a day early and noticed the air was much drier(really used chapstick) and a slight elevated heart rate. The next evening is when the physical stuff started. After doing forms/excerting myself I was winded quite fast! I was also light headed. I was forgeting some of the moves cause I could not think strait! After that it was not so bad. I had headaches for a couple days after coming back to VA. Very interesting event; that was considered my pretest! Now I have to do my official 2nd dan test at my school tomorrow!