• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Air Density

Hello everyone!

I will be taking a second dan test in November in the style of tkd I am training and teaching in now. I live in the DC area and will be taking the harder part of the exam in Colorado. It is a 48 hour physical exam. I know that the air is thinner in the mountains and I am wondering if anyone has any out of the box recommendations as to how to prep for this?

Thanks!

Edited by rayjag

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The best way to prep for it is to get to the mountains two weeks early and start acclimating yourself to the thinner air. Other than that, perhaps up your cardio and intensity, because that altitude can drain you fast.

Good luck on your test! :karate:

Brian's on the right track. I'd only add this...DRINK PLENTY OF WATER!!

Without going into a great deal of detail, and/or receiving incorrect advise that could do more harm than good; please read this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness#Altitude_acclimatization

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Sounds like it will be challenging but that's the way it should be!

Thanks!

You've been given good advice. Good luck and have fun.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree on the acclimatising and extra cardio work. Been away before on TKD related things and we stayed in a ski resort in the Alps. The thinner air really drains you and we were all getting out of breath after doing hardly anything.

Good luck for your test! :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I can only imagine just what the cardio is like for the Colorado Rockies and the Denver Broncos, let alone just playing 1 mile high!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I live in a hilly area, so I know how someone not from here complains just after a few kilometers walk, so I would say you should start running as much as you can, the besyt would be to go into mountains and do some running there.

A style is just a name.

Good stuff everyone.

Unfortunately I no not have any mountains or high altitudes around me but my plan as of now is to start doing mare cardio and interval training to get my endurance up as much as possible.

Thanks!

I just moved from sea level to New Mexico (my town is at 7,500 ft) about a month ago. I still have more trouble breathing when I'm just walking around up here than I did at sea level. It takes awhile to acclimate. Give yourself at least a few days up here before your test, if it's at all possible. The first few days up here many people have headaches and are very tired for seemingly no reason at all. It takes a few days to get over it. And like others have said, HYDRATE!!!! You need to drink more water up here than at sea level, and even *more* if you're being very active.