shotokan-ste

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The popular Korean arts of today primarily came about due to the Japanese invasion of Korea, so I'd say your friend is misinformed.

Fujian White Crane would be a good place to start. However, there's no clear cut history of karate so it's all only theories. There probably was a better idea which was all written down, but thanks to the Battle of Okinawa they didn't last.

It should also be pointed out that it can be controversial to state that the modern Korean martial arts are influenced by the Japanese. The political atmosphere following the occupation of Korea could not acknowledge any influence from their invaders.

It should also be pointed out that it can be controversial to state that the modern Korean martial arts are influenced by the Japanese. The political atmosphere following the occupation of Korea could not acknowledge any influence from their invaders.
Be that as it may, it still does not change the truth, that most modern Korean MAs came out of Japanese styles.

Be that as it may, it still does not change the truth, that most modern Korean MAs came out of Japanese styles.

I'm not denying that. I just thought the OP should be aware of the issue. There can be very strong reactions to this topic and that it can easily lead to flame wars should he ask on another forum.

And most (not all) Japanese fighting (empty hand anyway) arts came from Okinawa.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I'm not denying that. I just thought the OP should be aware of the issue. There can be very strong reactions to this topic and that it can easily lead to flame wars should he ask on another forum.

sorry if i have caused any offence by asking this question

I don't think you've offended anyone shotokan-ste :). I think Capt Jakk was just pointing out that a lot of Korean Maists will deny that their style came from Japan and will insist that it has its roots going back millennia.

If you want to know more about the true origins of Korean MA, I highly recommend A Killing Art by Alex Gillis. It is geared slightly more to Taekwon-Do than Tang Soo Do but it is very well researched.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

hi DWx to be honest its not that important,i work with a girl who studies tang soo do,and we have a chat about kata's etc and compare the similarities with the kata's,its friendly stuff between us until now anyway lol

I don't think you've offended anyone shotokan-ste :). I think Capt Jakk was just pointing out that a lot of Korean Maists will deny that their style came from Japan and will insist that it has its roots going back millennia.

Hit the nail on the head. It's just a friendly FYI that an innocent question to the wrong person can get a big reaction.

I'd suggest Mark Bishop's book Okinawan Karate: Teachers, Styles and Secret Techniques The book isn't without bias but does give you a pretty good idea of various Karate style's lineages.