• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Strange Feeling..........

This is really to all the internal practioners. Do you get that feeling that the less strength you put it in the more it works. I have found myself again being in awe at my Sensei, as he takes out this guy with out even touching him. Fake..........possibly, but the thud on the floor was very real. And the attacker was a high Dan grade, most of whom are not likely to take a fall even for their Sensei ( I hope).

Sometimes during training I get this strange feeling, sort of like your heart is pumping so fast that you can feel each pulse clearly in your finger tips. But yet I am completely relaxed.

I was just wondering if anyone else, especial internal practioners had this feeling?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL..........Ya when Im sparring I get a feeling that comes. I dont feel any pain when in the ring. I dont notice any hard shots until after the break or after the match.

In my dojo every black belt makes things look effortless. It does go by the rank though. After all your suppose to be progressing in more than physical things.

:nod:

I don't think I would call it less strength its just know how to grab someone. Has more to do with practice than anything. I can work wrist locks just like snapping my fingers but new students and even older ones have troulbe getting them. Of course some people are dead and they don't hurt as bad but I can get it on them.

Like I tell my students. One day it will click. You may be in class or on the tolit but one day ti will make sense and things will quickly start to come to you. I can't place when this happend for me. I am just 24 and know their is MUCH more I need to know. However sometime over the past few years I have underwent this enlightment.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

A lot of techniques do work better when you're completely relaxed.

For one thing, having your muscles straining and tense has a way of sapping their power. For instance, a lot of martial arts would have you punch with a hand that's mostly relaxed until the point of impact, because the act of clenching the fist makes the punch less powerful (due to the mechanics of the arm). Try the two and see which movement feels more "free".

For another thing... sometimes being all rigid causes your body to minorly activate its own pressure points... which doesn't really work in your favor. Likewise, the more tense your opponent is the more effective your activation of their pressure points will be... they'd be better off relaxing for their own protection.

And for another... when your own muscles are relaxed you can feel another person's intentions better (which I'm sure Aikido demonstrates). If you have them in a hold and you're not focused on your own muscles, you can feel the more subtle movements of theirs that would key you into what they're going to do next. Someone I know in Aikido is always told to "finesse" rather than struggle with the opponent (her background before Aikido was a hardcore aggressive kickboxing sort of art... so all her old habits work against her now).

Also, if you're calm and gentle, you're probably perceived as less of a threat, and the other person might relax themselves, or at least underestimate you.

Of course the above post has a lot to do with it too. The better you are the easier you make it look and the less energy you put into making it work. I'll take efficiency over brute power any day.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Yes, because most people's "strength" involves tensing antagonistic muscles and general poor use of body mechanics. Basically defeating themselves.

I remember practising block strike combos ultra slow with zero tension anywhere for a while. Then when I did them quick, and still relaxed, they were ULTRA fast. I mean really fast, faster than I've ever moved before. Faster than the instructor even. All from relaxing and focusing on slow movement without tension. Maybe Tai Chi is onto something after all?

KarateForums.com - Sempai

Maybe this isn't related, but I get a feeling of peace when I do internal tensho kata from white crane kung fu.

I can be all hyped up and then as soon as my hands start moving...it goes away and I gain concentration. Never felt ANYTHING like that before I started MA.

Shuriken: art of Japanese blade throwing

Shorin-ryu karate with influences from White Crane Kung Fu

15 years old

Yeah, I've felt that way. It feels like your heart is going 60 miles an hour, yet your totally calm and focused. And also, when I do my katas or sparr, my concentration is so intense sometimes I lose sense of everything around me 'cept my target.

When my katas are done anytime, I see nothing ahead of me. It's like im blocking everything out, and channeling all of my energy to the one move I am doing.

It seems, every time I do a move nowadays and understand the bunkai behind it, I usually see the opponent in front of me, actually being hit and understanding the bunkai even better. But only if im concentrating enough on what I am doing.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make" -Bruce Leehttp://www.myvidtodvd.com/mysmilies/otn/other/leseratte.gif

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/xerx/smileystooges.gif

• 1 month later...
Well oviously as you get better and progress your technique it doesnt take less effort it just looks as if that. Just like this example young kid very good at high kicks awesome speed and power spars a old man practitionar of that art the old man woops the young boy because of his years of experience and his awesome technique.

I am training for myself not anyone else.. to be the best I can be in everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes during training I get this strange feeling, sort of like your heart is pumping so fast that you can feel each pulse clearly in your finger tips. But yet I am completely relaxed.

I know exactly what you are talking about, the feeling is impossible to discribe but you know it when it happens.

It can sometimes make you feel insignificant as you can feel that there is something much grater than you (no I'm not talking about god!!).

- Only by contrast can we see.

- Each for his own.