• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA shoes worth it?

Capt Jakk

I've seen martial arts shoes on a couple of websites. Anyone have experience with them? Are they worth it or would a pair of indoor soccer shoes work just as well?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've used them extensively. I have neuropathy and so they are a must. Certain brands are really good like Discipline. One thing you have to look at is what the surface of the place where you are working out is. If it's a puzzle mat or anything porous, a thick carpet, or spongy you will need to find shoes with limited texture on the bottom. Otherwise standard traction will do. I currently work out on a combination of thin carpet, cement, a canvas covered padded mat, and a regular boxing ring and my disciplines work well. Pine tree also works well if you need less of a tread.

The problem with wearing regular shoes like soccer shoes is they aren't designed for use indoors. Do they make marks? Tear up the floor? whats it feel like to get hit with the edge? the toe? Most MA shoes you cant kick with the toe as they have a very thin sole. But this makes it good for other kicks. A regular shoe has too many edges and supported areas to be good for sparring. And lets not forget that most of the places you will be getting into fights you won't be barefoot...nor should you be, so its good practice and many martial artists recommend it.

Long Live the Fighters!

tufrthanu's advice was good.

I've used them quite a bit, mainly Addidas ones although I have had others. Much better for you than soccer shoes because like tufrthanu said they protect the floor and are softer if you're going to kick someone in them. Because they're designed specifically for MA they are usually made so they have things like raised areas at the ball of the foot for turning and can flex more than a standard shoe. I currently have a pair of Addidas "TKD 2000"s and some "AdiLux". The 2000s are great for forms, soft sole, low grip. The AdiLux are better for outdoor stuff because I think they grip too well for indoors (nearly twisted my knee several times) but they can withstand harder impact.

You will tear your shoes up if you use them on bags and pads and even though they usually have a softer sole they'll still hurt if you connect with them (but less than a normal shoe). I do find them really comfortable so have a pair for normal everyday use.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks for the replies. I brought up the soccer shoes as that is what I have experience with and is my frame of reference. From what you two are saying the two shoe styles are similar. "Indoor Soccer Shoes" don't typically leave marks as they are designed for gym floors. They also designed for kicking so they do not have many rigid areas as that would make the ball move in a funny direction.

Based on the comments about comfort I'd guess that the MA shoes have better foot support. Soccer shoes tend to have very little as the idea is to have the foot be close to the floor for better ball control. This alone makes me tempted to buy a pair of MA shoes. Thanks Guys.

• 6 months later...

I've used them quite a bit, mainly Addidas ones although I have had others. Much better for you than soccer shoes because like tufrthanu said they protect the floor and are softer if you're going to kick someone in them. Because they're designed specifically for MA they are usually made so they have things like raised areas at the ball of the foot for turning and can flex more than a standard shoe. I currently have a pair of Addidas "TKD 2000"s and some "AdiLux". The 2000s are great for forms, soft sole, low grip. The AdiLux are better for outdoor stuff because I think they grip too well for indoors (nearly twisted my knee several times) but they can withstand harder impact.

You will tear your shoes up if you use them on bags and pads and even though they usually have a softer sole they'll still hurt if you connect with them (but less than a normal shoe). I do find them really comfortable so have a pair for normal everyday use.

Sure wish I could get these in a store...but I have to look online. Prices are better but fit is a concern.

Any advice on sizing? I'm a 9 in street shoes but I usually wear a 9 1/2 sneaker.

Sure wish I could get these in a store...but I have to look online. Prices are better but fit is a concern.

Any advice on sizing? I'm a 9 in street shoes but I usually wear a 9 1/2 sneaker.

Hey hammer,

Which pair were you looking at? The Adidas TKD 2000s I have should fit the same as a normal shoe, I've never had problems with them. The AdiLux are a bit different though. I wear a 7 1/2 - 8 usually and the AdiLux size 8 fit me fine. My sister however initially bought a 5 (which is her normal shoe size) but it was too small so she then got size 6s which fit fine. Probably will have to get them online, if you're worried about sizing would just check that wherever you're buying them from has a good return policy or that you could maybe visit them first. :)

Which pair were you looking at? The Adidas TKD 2000s I have should fit the same as a normal shoe, I've never had problems with them. The AdiLux are a bit different though. I wear a 7 1/2 - 8 usually and the AdiLux size 8 fit me fine. My sister however initially bought a 5 (which is her normal shoe size) but it was too small so she then got size 6s which fit fine. Probably will have to get them online, if you're worried about sizing would just check that wherever you're buying them from has a good return policy or that you could maybe visit them first. :)
I've only seen the AdiLux in sizes near mine...I did look for the TKD 2000s but they appear to only be on closeout.

The main reason I'm looking for shoes is to provide some support...I have problems with metatarsal strain/inflammation (especially after doing aerial kicks :) ) and the doctor recommended getting some shoes with support. Guess I'm getting the loss of padding that comes with age.

Most places I've looked at have good return policies...there is one site that does charge a restocking fee on returns but I should be OK with an exchange for sizing. It would just stink to pay the extra shipping costs...did that once on hiking boots and I ended up being $20 out of pocket.

I think the 2000s are a couple of years old so places might not be stocking them anymore. Adidas shoes do seem to come in two types, the ones with the rigid underneath (like the Adilux) and the flat soft underneaths (TKD 2000s) so if you wanted the 2000-type shoe you could try the newer versions which I think are the Adi-Wing, Adi-Kee or SM-IIs: http://www.adidastaekwondousa.com/index.php/en/taekwondo/shoes.html

If you do want the extra support, I'd go for the ones with the rigid underneath. I do find them slightly heavier, although nowhere near as heavy as a standard trainer.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the AdiLux shoes for a few weeks now and they are doing as well as can be expected. They are very light and I don't notice any weight difference when doing kicks, but I now have two issues...

• My feet get hot

Even though they have pivot points it's more difficult to pivot my feet

I'm hoping the soles will get less grabby as the shoes are worn more. I also need to find some good thinner socks that can help to keep the feet cooler.