• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

new students due to karate kid film

hi people im reletively new to the martial arts scene(11 months),but ive noticed in my dojo that all of a sudden we have quite a few more students young and old,and its all down to the new karate kid film has anyone else noticed a similar trend?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I could only imagine that if the new Karate Kid movie is the reason for someone joining a martial arts school, that they'd be to embarrassed to say to a potential instructor that that was [Karate Kid movie] why they wanted to join in the first place...MAYBE...stranger things have been known to have happened before!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

How do you know the influx is due to the movie? Have you asked the new students what made them join? If it is the case, then the movie has done some good.

How do you know the influx is due to the movie? Have you asked the new students what made them join? If it is the case, then the movie has done some good.

That was our experience back in '84 when the 1st one came out. The movie played across the street from our dojang. Folks seemed to get out of the film & come in & sign up.

Ah, those were the days :D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

We have recently had several new families join at school....

I didn't even think about the new movie bringing in more people.

Its nice getting new people though.

A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

• 4 weeks later...

Problem is, these people are in it for the glory that you get in the film. Not the hours if repeating techniques up and down your dojo/dojang. When they realise it's not like it is in the films, they disappear one by one!

Problem is, these people are in it for the glory that you get in the film. Not the hours if repeating techniques up and down your dojo/dojang. When they realise it's not like it is in the films, they disappear one by one!
Some will stick around, and realize that they are getting so much more than the movie offered.

I have heard of this phenomenon but it didn't happen at my dojo. However my instructor told me that the original karate kid movie caused an increase in kid students.

The original KK movie is how I got started.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."