• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm sure I'm going to open a real can of worms on this one.

I was searching for Jiu-Jitsu schools and came across a few online schools. What does everyone think of them?

Some of them looked cool and I thought why not, people get Master's degrees online.

I guess my ulitimate question is, has anyone done them or had experience with them?

I know a guy who does the Gracie training, and uses it to charge his students more to do classes. Really sad in my opinion.

I have seen some of the teaching material. In all honesty, not the best way to learn, but if your other option is nothing, the choice is pretty easy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update!

I've been training for two months now with the online school. I really enjoy it I have a few different training partners who have extended backgrounds in jiu jitsu and mma. I feel that I'm getting a lot out of it and the instruction suits me well.

I just started trying to learn my next kata using a DVD. It's a lot harder than learning it in person because I have to self correct (I have to think "wait. This isn't working. Why isn't this working? My left foot is here it needs to be here, etc" instead of someone just saying to me "hey-- put your left foot here"). I hope I can get it. It is apparently the first "hard" kata, so we'll see.

I just started trying to learn my next kata using a DVD. It's a lot harder than learning it in person because I have to self correct (I have to think "wait. This isn't working. Why isn't this working? My left foot is here it needs to be here, etc" instead of someone just saying to me "hey-- put your left foot here"). I hope I can get it. It is apparently the first "hard" kata, so we'll see.
Its not that it can't be done this way. Its just harder to do it this way. But, I think it can be a real learning experience in the end. After learning this way, and then going in front of an instructor, let us know what kind of comments you get. They would be interesting to hear.

If there are no other options in your area then I would get the information where I could. Actually this is how I got started in a garage before Luiz Palhares came to Nashville. Well not online but through magazines and video. I acquired enough information and skill to have some success in blue belt competition. Thats actually how I met Luiz. I have acquired a good bit of my technique through some seminars as well. Although I will say I got much more from some than others. One of the most significant experiences I have was being introduced to Carlson Gracie Sr. by Master Palhares. His style was simple and very effective. I use everything I learned from him. I did a seminar which was my introduction and then trained with him two more times before his death. I would say aside from Luiz he has been the most influential in my learning. Nothing will substitute an experienced instructor. Jiu Jitsu is on the rise and it will be available to everyone at some point. Some of you may just be the one who takes initiative and works hard to be the one bringing it to your area. Many schools are not open to introducing new styles into there programs and even worse are not open to bringing in instructors of other styles in areas where they may be weak. The right attitude will overcome any of these obstacles.

Yeah. That's my problem. The only dojo near here is a McDojo I have no intentions of giving my money to that still about a 45 minute drive. The nearest Isshinryu dojo is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours away, so that's out of the question. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with the DVDs.

I let you know how it goes. I'm going to try to learn the whole thing from the DVD in the next two weeks and then I'm going to my old school once or twice over Christmas, so we'll see how my DVD learning holds up.

I let you know how it goes. I'm going to try to learn the whole thing from the DVD in the next two weeks and then I'm going to my old school once or twice over Christmas, so we'll see how my DVD learning holds up.

I learnt all my new forms this way when I graded. Don't have somewhere to train at uni and I graded halfway through the academic year so had 6 months or so with no regular classes. Learnt them all from video and then went back home and had my instructor correct any bits that weren't quite right and explain all the new techniques. TBH I tell all students I help out with to try to learn the sequence at home, then they can just come to class and learn the techniques themselves instead of be thinking about what move comes next.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I learnt all my new forms this way when I graded. Don't have somewhere to train at uni and I graded halfway through the academic year so had 6 months or so with no regular classes. Learnt them all from video and then went back home and had my instructor correct any bits that weren't quite right and explain all the new techniques. TBH I tell all students I help out with to try to learn the sequence at home, then they can just come to class and learn the techniques themselves instead of be thinking about what move comes next.

Yeah. That's what I did to relearn all my kata after my 10 year break (I'm too impatient to wait for someone to teach them all to me) but this is my first time learning one for the first time on my own. It's not going all that bad. The main problem is that my instructor loves to make the kata his own and so I know he's going to change several things just to make it his Chinto. Plus I think I might be doing something wrong. I don't think Chinto is supposed to give you bruises on your arm. But then again, maybe it is....

If there are no other options in your area then I would get the information where I could. Actually this is how I got started in a garage before Luiz Palhares came to Nashville. Well not online but through magazines and video. I acquired enough information and skill to have some success in blue belt competition. Thats actually how I met Luiz. I have acquired a good bit of my technique through some seminars as well. Although I will say I got much more from some than others. One of the most significant experiences I have was being introduced to Carlson Gracie Sr. by Master Palhares. His style was simple and very effective. I use everything I learned from him. I did a seminar which was my introduction and then trained with him two more times before his death. I would say aside from Luiz he has been the most influential in my learning. Nothing will substitute an experienced instructor. Jiu Jitsu is on the rise and it will be available to everyone at some point. Some of you may just be the one who takes initiative and works hard to be the one bringing it to your area. Many schools are not open to introducing new styles into there programs and even worse are not open to bringing in instructors of other styles in areas where they may be weak. The right attitude will overcome any of these obstacles.

It is cool to know that we are taking a similar path. I'm looking for as many seminars that I can go to. I just want to get as much information I can about the art of Jiu Jitsu. Right now on-line is my only option. Since everything is MMA around here there doesn't seem to be a true BJJ school here.