• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You send it in. But I've seen vids on youtube of them grading them. They are super serious about it and it's extremely detailed. This made me feel good because I was very afraid they may be watering down the art. But I really don't think they are now.

This is reasons the I'm seriously considering it. Good instruction from great teachers and ther isn't a Gracie gym for about 100 miles.

It may be your only option then. Make sure you have a consistent partner for practicing.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the more experience you have in the arts, the easier it would be to learn online, but time and dedication can overcome alot. When you look for a training partner, i would try to find someone with a different martial arts background then you. Then maybe it would give you a different point of view on each leason. I could be wrong, but i think it could help.

Even with a partner you'll only learn how to fight them and both of you will be limited by each other's skill level.

This is a valid point, but it also harkens back to the times when a master took on perhaps one or two students. Pretty limited training there, but it did produce some great MAists.

Fair point. But given the option of training with a group of people or training with one person I'd pick the group.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Even with a partner you'll only learn how to fight them and both of you will be limited by each other's skill level.

This is a valid point, but it also harkens back to the times when a master took on perhaps one or two students. Pretty limited training there, but it did produce some great MAists.

Fair point. But given the option of training with a group of people or training with one person I'd pick the group.

I agree. But, as seen with the OP, group training isn't an option.

I get what you're saying about no other option. That's a tough bind.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of using online stuff as a primary mode of learning. BJJ is a game of inches and tiny angles. There's just no way to duplicate the technical level of learning you need on a computer screen. Also, no matter how good the material you're watching, you need mat time to work it out live. That's the critical test. You and a friend aren't going to have the variety of energy availiable to you to really apply it widely.

That being said, I think technology does have a place in training as bushidoman said ealier. I think as a supplimental source, stuff like this really does have a place. Having seen some of the Graice vids, I'd say they are pretty quality stuff. THe shortcoming of no hands on instructor still remains, however. He's the one that makes sure all those reps you are doing are GOOD reps that instill good habits.

I also think that video comes more into play the more you've been in practice. When you're really new, it's easy to get side traced with the newest super move from Brazil rather than focus on the fundimental of the art, which is where the magic is.

Is there any way you could set up some sort of private work with the gym that's nearest, I know 100 miles is pretty steep. But, a once a month trip for an hour of private and an hour of open mat will pay some pretty good dividends. Then you've got something to put your video into context with.

Just my thoughts.

However, if you're going to do the online course, the Gracies have a pretty good product it seems. I'd buy less into the hype of ranking via this method, which is where most of the debate is over and focus onjust learning the movements.

Tallgeese,

I totally understand where you are coming from. Alot of the local gyms that say they are BJJ or JJ are just people who want to do MMA. I know a few people who go to these places and there is alot of ego.

Ranking up is nice, but not my major driving force. I want to learn and evolve as a better martial artist.

I thought about doing the driving thing and trying to set up something with the nearest training place like every three months. Just doing a check up.

I understand that those are your thought and opinions. I asked the question to hear honest answers. Besides you can't be thinned skinned and practice the martial arts..... Right... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Are there no suitable alternatives near you (in terms of schools)? So, what I mean is, are there no alternative martial arts diciplines that you would be interested in studying, in order to gain a foundation at least?

If not, you could always give the online school a go. If it doesn't work out for you, move on. Keep in mind though that this approach requires a lot of discipline and dedication- as essentially, you're organising your own lessons.

"What is a wedding? Webster's defines a wedding as the process of removing weeds from ones garden."

Thing is you must have someone to train with which isn't always easy without that its useless.

I think striking is easier to learn on your own because you can at least refine your technique and work on power and speed etc. Grappling you really need a partner.

I would say something like this is more supplimentary

Not to be argumentative but to be good at striking you need a partner. Other wise you may just teach yourself to look pretty punching a bag or the air. To be good at any martial art you need partners and a good coach.

Thing is you must have someone to train with which isn't always easy without that its useless.

I think striking is easier to learn on your own because you can at least refine your technique and work on power and speed etc. Grappling you really need a partner.

Not to be argumentative but to be good at striking you need a partner. Other wise you may just teach yourself to look pretty punching a bag or the air. To be good at any martial art you need partners and a good coach.

I was waiting to hear from you. You have tons of knowledge in Jiu Jitsu and wanted to see your take.

Thanks.

Thats fine not argumentative just its hard to consider everything when you post, plus its also hard to convey meaning without mannerisms. Application of technique and correct technique are two different things depending on how you define them. I was simply trying to say that when you are on your own striking, you can at least work something. Be it power, speed, fine points like body position, hip rotation etc. Of course to be halfway decent you need application, you can have all the speed in the world but if you don't know when to pull the trigger your stuck.

Good Point.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.