• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm sure I'm going to open a real can of worms on this one.

I was searching for Jiu-Jitsu schools and came across a few online schools. What does everyone think of them?

Some of them looked cool and I thought why not, people get Master's degrees online.

I guess my ulitimate question is, has anyone done them or had experience with them?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have much experience already, learning on line will be really tough. I won't say it can't be done, because anything is possible, even though many Martial Artists have a hard time accepting the idea of using our current technology to learn ancient fighting styles. The main problem that will come of learning this way is the lack of feedback from a qualified instructor. This can lead to bad habits being reinforced early and often, which is never a good thing. Its also hard to tell if you are doing something wrong if you aren't sure how to do it right in the first place.

With that all said, I won't say it isn't possible. But, I do think it would be the longer road to hoe.

The most respected online school would be the Gracie University. Rener and Ryon put alot of time into it. Grading is extremely strict, arguably more strict than grading in person. I have seen several of the training vids and feel they are extremely good.

That said, I'm really on the fence about it. I've never met or trained with anyone who does the program. Until I do, and am impressed with their skill, I'll probably always be on the fence.

Still, if you don't have a good school around you, this program is really your only option.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thing is you must have someone to train with which isn't always easy without that its useless.

I think striking is easier to learn on your own because you can at least refine your technique and work on power and speed etc. Grappling you really need a partner.

I would say something like this is more supplimentary

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

ps1,

How's the video testing performed at the Gracie University? Is it performed by a live video link? Or, is a tape/disc recording sent in for them to review?

Thanks in advance!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

How's the video testing performed at the Gracie University? Is it performed by a live video link? Or, is a tape/disc recording sent in?

You digitally record yourself and training partner going through the testing material.

One of the websites I was looking into was the Gracie University. I was impressed with it. I'm a little nervous about trying it for some of the same reasons that were mentioned. I've trained in MA for a year now and want to compliment my striking game with some ground knowledge. If I try it I'll let everyone know.

Since we're all into analogies and parallels lately...

Master's courses online are so great either. I have a friend who is studying a similar degree to what I am doing at uni (Chemistry for me, she does a combined sciences course which includes chem modules). Difference is I am physically at university and she studies using a distance learning programme with the Open University.

Not that she doesn't work extremely hard, she does, but there is a huge amount of difference in the pace of learning and the scope of material. For example, I get ~10hrs lab time a week where I have constant reinforcement and correction and get to pick up on all the little nuances and intricacies that she doesn't simply because she's not there with the lecturers. Some of her pronunciation of terms is off too. With online MA courses you'd have similar problems because the instructor/examiner can't really feel what you're doing and pick up on the little things.

I'm not saying online courses aren't good, never done one and I suppose there are ones that are probably quite good, but I think one-to-one tuition is going to be much better if you have access to it. Plus, so much of martial arts is learning how to read and respond to your opponent too and you can't pick that up if there's just one of you. Even with a partner you'll only learn how to fight them and both of you will be limited by each other's skill level.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

ps1,

How's the video testing performed at the Gracie University? Is it performed by a live video link? Or, is a tape/disc recording sent in for them to review?

Thanks in advance!

:)

You send it in. But I've seen vids on youtube of them grading them. They are super serious about it and it's extremely detailed. This made me feel good because I was very afraid they may be watering down the art. But I really don't think they are now.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Even with a partner you'll only learn how to fight them and both of you will be limited by each other's skill level.

This is a valid point, but it also harkens back to the times when a master took on perhaps one or two students. Pretty limited training there, but it did produce some great MAists.

You send it in. But I've seen vids on youtube of them grading them. They are super serious about it and it's extremely detailed. This made me feel good because I was very afraid they may be watering down the art. But I really don't think they are now.

This is reasons the I'm seriously considering it. Good instruction from great teachers and ther isn't a Gracie gym for about 100 miles.