• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Low kicks/Thigh Kicks!!??!!

Dobbersky

I've practiced them on the bags, but not used them in sparring. When I started Combat Hapkido, the emphasis on kicks was that they be low-line kicks, which is great. In Combat Hapkido, almost all the kicks I do are below the waist, and my favorite is the round kick to the thigh. And I love using the shin.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've wanted to have Interclubs with other Karate schools using Sabaki Rules but they don't wish to use "Thigh kicks" and they're unable to stop bouncing!!!

I have a Shukokai BB who now trains with me and some of the take downshe has received in competitons have been proven to be when he was "in the air" on a bounce. He's now becoming accustomed to Knockdown Karate.

I also have a ShotoKai BB who enjoys our style of training

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I'm with you on the bouncing. It drives me crazy...it reminds me of what someone would look like after having drank a gallon of coffee.

Bouncing to me is an unstable movement and offers up so many opportunities to offset and penetrate...unless they can stand/walk in the air...but they can't and I love to show them that gravity is real...and so is the sudden THUD that follows.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Bouncing is not bad, but it needs to be controlled. It helps with initiating movements, and "keeps you on your toes" so to speak. Some people bounce too high, and it can be a problem.

Bouncing is not bad, but it needs to be controlled. It helps with initiating movements, and "keeps you on your toes" so to speak. Some people bounce too high, and it can be a problem.

You're right, bouncing isn't bad as long as its controlled. A target in motion isn't that easy to hit as a stationary target. CONTROL THE BOUNCE!

EDIT: I meant to say "A target..." not, "I target. Sorry!

Edited by sensei8

I think that if you have some distance, bouncing is good to help get you moved into position. Once you get inside, the bouncing has to stop or lighten up a lot, or you end up off balanced and swept.

Sure, I agree. Just as long as their bouncing is being done for a purpose, not just to bounce like a bunny rabbit because it looks effectively cool.

In Bushido competitions we do not use low kicks. However, we do have several kicks that can be used for self-defense or scenarios that would happen on the street. Most of these however are aimed for the knee, thigh, or ankle and the purpose is to stop an attacker by any force necessary, ie broken bones.