• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any other gals out there?

phoenixfire

I am a female marial artist who has been practicing karate for 15 years. I was just wondering if there were any other gals out there if this is pretty much an all guys forum. No offense guys, but sometimes us gals have some pretty unique issues when it comes to martial arts and self defense. 8)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyokushin gal here! Hi!

Osu!!!

From an Ashihara Boy

Ladies, there are quite a few Female Threaders on here who are extremely knowledgeable about Karate.

Thanks for allowing me to post in "your" Thread

OSU!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

That's good to hear! In my school, the only other girls are the kids and sometimes it can be difficult to find other ladies who practice such sports. I understand with my style. It's hards style Okinowan Karate, very little is pulled and some of the techniques take a little more strength. It doesn't mean they can't be done, it just takes a little more practice and sometimes some improvosation. Of course I reap the benefits because when practicing self-defense I realize the guy attacking me will most likely be about the same same as the guys I'm practicing with. 6' and 220lbs vs. 5'2 and 130lbs.

Also when you get older some things tend to get in the way like marriage and pregnancy. Stuff like that can take you out of commission for sometime.

I welcome any feedback from the guys too. I was just curious :pony:

Its good to have girls here, as their point of view is somethimes diffrent.

Personally I'm always impressed when girls do MA. (I'd love to have a girlfriend that does some MA:P)

And about self defence I too have it though. Eventhough I'm 6'2 I weight only 150lbs

A style is just a name.

Thanks! Yeah, my bf really likes that I take MA. He gets a real kick out of me commenting on the deadliest warrior or when I yell at the tv during a fight. He thinks its cool that he's got the only girl at the bar that actually knows whats going on! LOL.

OSU, and hi also to Dobbersky!

It's great when both people in a couple are into martial arts. I recently visited a Kyokushin dojo up near Seattle that was run by a husband and wife team. Female senseis in Kyokushin are pretty rare, and it was great to be able to spend a bit of time training with one.

They had their 2 month old baby there, who was quiet during the entire hour and a half lesson. He had been listening to loud counting in Japanese and OSU so much in the womb that he was comforted by it. That was the female sensei's theory anyway.

She gave birth and then was back to training a couple days later. How hardcore is that, eh?

She was built for power too. I think I'd be scared to spar with her, hah! I'd still try, of course...

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.