• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Attitudes of the General Public

We used to have problems along those lines when we were at a school hall for training. They were settled one time when the rugby club (staying after school) decided to burst in and yell insults at us.

We simply kiyapped back, and my instructor produces the loudest students in Choi Kwang Do. For anyone who was at Seni during one of the Choi demonstrations you'll know what that's like.

I've never seen a group of people go white so fast.

Other than that though we've never had any problems.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think people would show more respect towards us since respect is what martial arts is all about. I've had people yell to me " hey kung fu, wanna take me on??" I consider this ignorance run amok. First of all, I don't take kung fu. Second of all, martial arts is about peace. Third of all, if he knew i was trained and thought i could and WOULD beat the snot out of him, why provoke me?? What is wrong with our society?? LOL. Back in 1942....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

Dee :karate:

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

:wink: blame it on ignorance plain and simple.

You guys seem to be doing the complaining but as a female we get alot of the "ooh can I spar with you baby ... let me see what you got ... wow you must be a tough "chick" .... don't wanna mess with you ....

:roll: so stop your complaining, you could be on the receiving end of these ignorant remarks! :nod: I hold my head up high ,,,, indominable spirit prevails :up:

• 3 weeks later...

There is a look that you can give that will shut up 99% of the loudmouths.

I can't teach it but it comes from being above the petty ego based taunts.

Indomitable spirit is pretty much where that power comes from.

It's a crystal clear stare that goes right to the soul of the person and it mirrors his stupidity right back at him.

It makes most people feel like the child they are.

I'll bet KC has it... :wink:

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

Unfortunately, in the states we are viewed as out casts, but anywhere else in the world we are respected. Go figure.. I will this it really bothers me that everything is either Karate Kid this Meigeedo that. I have always struggled with this since I practice a non asian art and the Westerns feel that MA is totally comprised of Karate and Kung fu. No disrepect to you Karate and Kung Fu artist..

In search of the Temple of Light

What's Meigeedo?

I don't find this a problem. It's ignorance, but not necessarily conscious ignorance. Simple ignorance. Can you blame them for their attitudes? What have they had as a witness to the martial arts? Mostly old movies, corny movies, and an endless supply of McBlackBelts. Quite honestly the MA community is something to laugh at. Amidst a plethora of McDojo's there are really only quite a few dedicated martial artists. In the town I was born in there are plenty of martial arts schools. There is only one that I would consider not a McDojo. All the others are practically jokes to the martial arts.

When people drive by and see ads in the windows of these dojos they're going to make a judgement. When the ad reads, "Ultimate Karate!" or anything similar. People are not going to take it seriously. We need to ask ourselves, "Why should they?"

Should the general public take every single martial artist they meet seriously? Do we, as a martial arts community, give them enough reason to?

Personally, I don't care what people think. I could care less if someone screamed out at me, "Hey Mr. Karate! WAaaAaaaAAaaH!!!!!" My day would be no less sunny.

People, the general public, are mostly justified in their teasing. I know it doesn't feel right, but can you argue with 30 yrs. of MA jokes in America? Since the 70's onward there have been McDojo's all across the nation. The martial artists that do get into the public usually are foolish enough to either be a loud-mouthed braggard that gets his upcommence, or a man that claims to do the Dim-Mak on TV. Who, without any martial arts knowledge, is going to take any of that seriously?

Put yourselves in their shoes. You are at home, you live your life, and you honestly know nothing about the martial arts world. Sure, you've been in a few school fights, maybe even a bar brawl. Now, you are watching on TV some guy dressed really funny in a white robe throwing his legs into the air and yelling like he pulled something he shouldn't have. What is your reaction going to be? Me? Personally, I would laugh. Laugh really hard and say to myself, "Is this guy for real?"

Then when a demonstration is held the choreography is horrible and the observer only has to say to himself. Looks good when your partner plays along, betcha it wouldn't work in real life. And then the NHB matches look like High School wrestling matches with punches. They're turning more and more into WWF type events than anything martial artish.

I'm sorry to say, I really am, but the ridicule the martial arts community gets is its own fault. When someone yells, "Hey Kungfu let's fight!" Or does his best Bruce Lee kia. That's because there have been hundreds of martial artists before you that have given that person such an impression.

I consider myself a martial artist. It is my life, I've been doing it for such a long part of my life I know nearly nothing else.

What to do about it? How do we change the public's attitude or impression about the martial arts world? We can't. There will always be McDojo's because there will always be somone trying to earn a buck. There will always be McBlackBelters because McDojos will always hand them out. People will always get glimpses of those martial artists who make fools of themselves in the public by trying to bring attention to themselves. It won't ever change.

What to do? Nothing. Why? Well, why should we try to do anything about it? Are you a martial artist or a PR man? The best advice is just ignore it. Don't let it bother you. I must say that only the weakest of self-esteem gets bruised from uneducated jesting. Who are the people mocking you? Most likely nobodies in the martial arts. So why would their opinions mean anything to you? Really, now folks, attitudes of the public? Since when have they meant anything to the martial artist? The old masters were not training to get famous. Should we be training for fame? IMHO, I don't think so.

Sarcasm is the recourse of a weak mind. Let them talk and point, and snicker. Who cares?! We shouldn't. When we do it comes across as whining. When the big bad martial artist can't hack being laughed at and says something it almost always sounds like he's whining or crying.

We're above that. The rest of the martial arts community, the truly dedicated martial artists, should continue in their serious pursuit of martial excellence. Our path towards personal development really shouldn't have a public face to it. We do it for ourselves and no one else.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I don't really care. People laugh or snicker at me..what does it matter? They don't know me...they know nothing about me...they are no one important to me. What they think matters not to me. I'm not that weak. I know myself and my abilities, i don't care about romo's that know nothing about me. I could care less!

Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise.

Animis Opibusque Parati

Sharing too much knowledge about yourself can work against you.

Martial arts were once secret for good reason.

Share your knowledge with those people who are receptive.

If you must represent your school publically, do it with class.

We must set a good example for those people who may want to express themselves in the martial arts.

I remember the quiet dignity of my mothers friend who was a Kung Fu teacher.

He influenced my decision to dedicate myself and seek that calm that he exuded.

There are goofballs in every sort of discipline imaginable.

There are those of us who live and breathe it as well.

People who meet me know the difference.

By the way great post, Martial_Artist.

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"