• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking to start martial arts

To start off, I am new to this site and would like to just say hey to everyone.

I am looking to start training in a martial art and was wondering if I could get some help from you guys on which one to train in.

What I am looking for in a martial arts is to learn self defense. I don't want a martial arts that has been turned into sport. I want to be able to handle myself if ever I am jumped by one or more people. That is what i am looking for in taking a martial art and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which martial art is best for this. Thank you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Alot of martial arts are good for self defense, it mainly depends on the person training and how well you can apply things in certain situations.

Regarding the school, take a look near you and see whats on offer, most schools will give a free taster lesson or let you sit in on one.

Write a list of questions you'd like to ask so you dont forget anything at the time, and make sure you think you'll get on with the people there, no matter how good a martial art is it wont work if you quit after 2 weeks.

Hope this helps and welcome to KF :)

"Get beyond violence, yet learn to understand its ways"

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

https://www.shinkido.co.uk

The best way is to stay and observe the training, and try finding some info on the net about instructor, and how long this school functions.

And when you know what schools are near you, tell us and we may help you choose one.

A style is just a name.

Do a lot of research. You already know what you want: a self defense oriented non sport school. Now you have to look at martial arts that come under those categories. Realize though that some arts/schools even if they are geared toward something else can help you get what what you are looking for. I will list a few types of martial arts so that you can maybe look them up and see what you like. Also I would like to add that being close to where you live is an element but should be weighted with everything else otherwise you may end up at a school you don't like. Also in the end I think school trumps style. A good school/instructor can make up for a lot.

Self Defense Arts:

Hapkido

Traditional TKD

Traditional Karate

Tang Soo Do

Hwa Rang Do

Krav Maga

Systema

Japanese Jujitsu

Some Judo

Some Aikido

Jeet Kune Do

Escrima

Some Kung Fu

Sport Arts:

Olympic TKD

Some Judo

Boxing

Savate

Brazilian Jujitsu

Sport Karate

Wushu

Muay Thai

Hope this helps!

Long Live the Fighters!

Hi LivingLife in Georgia, That's the dam#$%t thing. Unless you get a recommendation from someone you trust, and who knows whats going on, like most of us, the first time is by luck. If you end up in a bad school, just have the courage to leave and look for another. The problem is when you bond, make friends, and close your mind to the possibilities.

I would not be so quick to rule out sport Martial Arts. The training that they do will usually be high impact, with lots of fight training, and definitely some contact. You'll learn to actively defend against someone whose goal is to knock you down, as opposed to being a passive partner allowing you to accomplish a technique. Look into all options before shutting any down.