• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need some advice regarding competitions

cncn

Hi, this is my first time posting in this forum so forgive any errors I make thanks :)

I have an issue regarding competitions that I would like some advice on from any people on the forum with experience competing in kumite.

Firsty a tiny bit about myself I have been regularly competing in individual and team kumite for just over four years now. I absolutely love it, I am a student at University and train karate regularly.

My training consists of a strength and conditioning program 3 days a week (jumping barbell squats, deadlift, low reps high weight exercises), then karate 5 days a week, in which I will train only sparring, flexibility, speed and techniques (I do not do kata or basics).

The problem is, my weakness is not physical, but mental. Whenever I go to competitions I have a very stupid mentality, once I have made it through the first few rounds, or I maybe have made it to the semi finals and I have guaranteed myself a bronze medal, I just mentally give up. I think 'ok I have a medal now' and I really just stop caring, and hugely underperform in the fight and lose, and then after the competition I get so angry at myself because I could have done better.

My issue is, how can I make myself mentally stronger? It is the worst thing and it keeps me awake at nights literally for months after competitions when I lie there and think how I lost to people who were far worse fighters than me, simply because of my mental weakness. If i get beaten by a better fighter thats fine by me, I take my beating and learn from the experience, its just when I mentally give up that is the problem.

For example; in a competition earlier this year, I had got silver with my team in the team kumite, winning most of my fights. Then the next day when I did individual, I danced around with this idiot for 3 minutes in the FIRST ROUND easily dealing with him, then just letting him gyak me in the last 10 seconds when the score was 0-0, (it took him 3 times to actually get the point) I just gave up because I got a medal the day before.

Even writing about this makes me angry, and I'm sure a lot reading this think I'm a coward but any advice would be really appreciated, I know it is a weak and pathetic thing to do but I am open to you for advice so please don't criticise too much

thanks

cncn

edit: i also have some small clips of some of my fights and training on youtube if anyone thinks it would be useful to see

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Assuming you are in good health, pick a very steep hill, one that you consider impossible to run up, and can not even walk up without resting several times. Set a schedule, and run, not jog or walk, to the top. If you stop to rest, quit for that day, and return on the next scheduled date. Do not break schedule, and do not give up trying. Once you are able to run up the hill, you will have developed the necessary "confidence" in yourself to "do what it takes", and the knowledge that you have accomplished something that others haven't. Mental toughness is a combat skill more valuable then physical strength.

To build on that last thought, I'd schedule some sort of cross training goal that is signifigant in nature. One that will test you mentally and physically but might be unrealted to ma's. Preferably one that will require you to train specifically for it for a time and mentally push thru not only the training but the event itself.

Personally, I use moutian climbing to test where my head is. How much I've gained or lost in the ability to perserve and win. It's an undertaking that can't be done without sufficient reserves of strenght, endurance and will. It doesn't have to be a vertical death trap, but something that will push your abilities. Think scrambles if it's your first time.

That's just me though. I've heard of running events, adventure races, triathalons, ect. all being used for the same thing. It's more about training your mindset that working on your skill set.

Forrest Morgan has a section in his book, "Living the Martial Way" on this sort of thing. I can't quote the section right now, I'm away from home. It might be worth looking at for ideas.

On another note, perhaps taking a side training jaunt into a RBSD system for a bit might help. Not technically with what you're doing, but with the mindset that a good practitioner will bring to the table. Maybe a combative oriented system even for a bit.

Alternitively, you might think about a shooting school or something along those lines. Most, those that are worth their weight anyway, will talk extenively about mindset.

Anyway, just suggestions.

Sounds like you are a WKF player? My advice to you is to stop focusing on a goal weather it be a medal or what not, and take it one match at a time. Actually take it one point at a time. Remember you only have to be one point up to win. The mental aspect is on you, there are no hidden secrets on what to do to fix it. You just have to ask yourself how bad do you want it.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

thanks for the advice from everyone, I will take it all into consideration :)

Sounds like you are a WKF player? My advice to you is to stop focusing on a goal weather it be a medal or what not, and take it one match at a time. Actually take it one point at a time. Remember you only have to be one point up to win. The mental aspect is on you, there are no hidden secrets on what to do to fix it. You just have to ask yourself how bad do you want it.

Yes I am WKF, and yes that sounds exactly what my coach says to me too :/ I think I will just have to be tougher on myself from now on, thanks :)

Assuming you are in good health, pick a very steep hill, one that you consider impossible to run up, and can not even walk up without resting several times. Set a schedule, and run, not jog or walk, to the top. If you stop to rest, quit for that day, and return on the next scheduled date. Do not break schedule, and do not give up trying. Once you are able to run up the hill, you will have developed the necessary "confidence" in yourself to "do what it takes", and the knowledge that you have accomplished something that others haven't. Mental toughness is a combat skill more valuable then physical strength.

This is an awesome idea to break the mental barrier.

It would seem that your problem is one of goals. You're mentally tough. You put yourself through a heck of a workout. You simply stop caring once you've locked up a medal.

This is fine if you always want to be known as they guy who was never quite good enough.

The question you have to answer in a manner that convinces even you is:

"DO YOU CARE ABOUT BEING THE BEST?"

Once you're convinced the answer is yes. You'll discover you already have the tools to do this.

At this point, and from what you already admitted to, you seem perfectly content being second or third best.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Welcome cncn :D

Setting yourself a non-kumite goal sounds like a really good idea to get over the mental block.

We have someone similar on our team. She is an awesome sparrer but tends to flag a bit after securing a medal so even though she really deserves the gold she usually gets stuck with bronze. Fortunately in our comps the team spar is always the last day, after all the individual events so she didn't have exactly the same problem as your example, but in her individual events you can see her start to run out of gas once in the bronze position. At the last major comp the coaches didn't tell her how many fighters she had in her category or when she did win a medal (bronze) they told her she still had two more bouts to go before a podium position. I think it did help her because she really did want a medal. I don't know whether you could employ the same strategy or not but it might be a short-term solution?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius