• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mawashi Geri Vs. Traditional Round Kick

Which Round Kick Is More Effective?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Round Kick Is More Effective?

• Mawashi Geri
    • Traditional Round Kick

1) It is very common in olympic TKD in order to be quicker to the target and to easily slip under the arms (which are often left hanging in this type of sparring). In this video you'll see several kicks thrown at this angle, along with other variations.

2) In MMA, a straight line from the ground to the head (usually 45 degrees) is taken with the kick. The point of contact is most often the shin however. This is because the kicker sets up an angle where the opponent's shoulder would not impede the kick and/or the kicker notices the opponent has left his head hanging to be kicked easily. Here's a video that demonstrates my point:

Had you intended two different videos, ps1?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) It is very common in olympic TKD in order to be quicker to the target and to easily slip under the arms (which are often left hanging in this type of sparring). In this video you'll see several kicks thrown at this angle, along with other variations.

2) In MMA, a straight line from the ground to the head (usually 45 degrees) is taken with the kick. The point of contact is most often the shin however. This is because the kicker sets up an angle where the opponent's shoulder would not impede the kick and/or the kicker notices the opponent has left his head hanging to be kicked easily. Here's a video that demonstrates my point:

Had you intended two different videos, ps1?

LOL :lol: Why yes...I did. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll go edit it now.

Rather than editing that one...

here's the vid of kicks in mma format

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Those strikes with the shin were like hitting someone with a baseball bat! Many were so fast, the question might be if the lower shin or the instep connected, but then the slow motion replay answered that.

Hands up doesn't mean never getting hit in the head, but you could see that if the opening's there, the opponent's going to try for it, and if he's slick, it's goodnight.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Nice video. At 0:32, that guy deserved what he got...keep your hands up and don't stick your head/chin out as though you're not going to get hit...sheech!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Its not bad technique. Its just a different technique. It tends to be quicker, and takes more of a straight line path to the target. But, it does tend to lack in power generation from the hip and from a lack of pivot.

I would disagree. This kick is used in Muay Thai, MMA, and Olympic TKD. I've seen KOs in all of them. It's an extremely powerful kick. It's power is generated more from the momentum of the movement and pivoting of the entire body into the kick rather than from the snappy turn of the hips with the strike, however. The power generation of a more traditional round kick comes from the rotation of both the hips and leg as you turn it from the vertical to horizontal position. Both are very powerful kicks though.

I really like to mix it up with both versions of the kick in order to keep an opponent off balance. If they start checking low line kicks, I'll switch up in order to rise over their knee.

Additionally, I like to rotate the traditional kick to come in on a downward angle, striking the bridge of the nose, clavicle or outter thigh (using shin).

I agree it is very powerful kick. Less hip rotation but because its swings in a straight line to the target it can hit very hard indeed. Just like a baseball bat :D.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Its not bad technique. Its just a different technique. It tends to be quicker, and takes more of a straight line path to the target. But, it does tend to lack in power generation from the hip and from a lack of pivot.

I would disagree. This kick is used in Muay Thai, MMA, and Olympic TKD. I've seen KOs in all of them. It's an extremely powerful kick. It's power is generated more from the momentum of the movement and pivoting of the entire body into the kick rather than from the snappy turn of the hips with the strike, however. The power generation of a more traditional round kick comes from the rotation of both the hips and leg as you turn it from the vertical to horizontal position. Both are very powerful kicks though.

I really like to mix it up with both versions of the kick in order to keep an opponent off balance. If they start checking low line kicks, I'll switch up in order to rise over their knee.

Additionally, I like to rotate the traditional kick to come in on a downward angle, striking the bridge of the nose, clavicle or outter thigh (using shin).

All very good points. I guess the power generation is different, for sure.