• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mawashi Geri Vs. Traditional Round Kick

Which Round Kick Is More Effective?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Round Kick Is More Effective?

• Mawashi Geri
    • Traditional Round Kick

I don't know Joe the first kick demonstrated in the Korean video looks exactly the same as the one in the video with the girl to me and that is the kick that I am referring to as the traditional one in regards to this discussion. The starting stance is different, one from a front stance one from a fighting stance, but those are easily changed and the execution is identical.

Long Live the Fighters!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from a traditional shotokan background, mawashi geri was fundamental. Currently I teach a korean style and I often have students come into my school who also have a foundation in karate It takes a lot of convincing for them to accept the "tradtitional" korean style kick-not just their minds, but their bodies too!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Neither the Revolution of Kicking nor the young lady are doing what I'd consider "traditional" kicks either. They both bring their knee up in front - akin to front a kick - then pivot with the knee crossing the centreline before extending the kick. Very poor power. I deliver my kick

- the rotation is through the hips, which then drag the knee which drags the foot into the kick. It utilises flexibility in the quadriceps in a plyometric fashion (stretching to the limit of motion such that the nervous system itself reacts to contract the thigh muscle). I'd give mawashi geri a go if I could do what Kagawa sensei does, but I'm not that flexible. My impression of the body mechanics involved suggests to me that it would be considerably less powerful too, though it looks like it could be applied at closer quarters with less telegraphing and different follow-up opportunities.

Cheers,

Tony

The reasoning for bring the knee to the front is its easier to mask the kick. Will they do a front kick or a round kick and it is a modification of the original kick, however, I think that is a minor point in the overall mechanics of the kick and I'm more interested in the tactical discussions of the kicks than the technical discussion of how to perform them. I think you will find if you pivot quickly enough that you can still generate significant power with the modified kick while minimizing the telegraphing that occurs with the older style one that you posted. As far as the mawashi geri v. traditional round kick discussion that I was originally trying to get to with this thread I do agree tony that there are different opportunities. Offensively your hands seem to be closer to your opponent with mawashi geri and so I would assume its easier to follow with hand strike, the down side being that your give your opponent a virtually open target while you are kicking. WIth traditional round kick you probably can't get your hand strikes off in combination as quickly but the torso is more securely out of the way.

Long Live the Fighters!

I was just wondering what people thought of these two kicks both as kicks themselves and tactically. Note: this topic does not include discussion of the Muay Thai style straight leg round kick. Thank you.

Difference between the two kicks that I have noticed:

Mawashi Geri: Base foot toes are pointed 90 degrees from opponent, torso is bent so that the front faces the opponent, essentially kick is a front kick while bent to the side, requires flexibility in groin/hamstrings.

Traditional Round Kick: Base foot toes pointed 180 degrees from opponent, torso faces side on and leans directly away from opponent, kick is much more similar to high side kick in final position, requires flexibility almost exclusively in hamstrings.

I personally have problems performing mawashi geri and my styles tend to use the traditional round kick which is what I use. It appears mawashi geri might be a quicker launching kick; whereas, the traditional round kick seems to be tactically safer due to the torso being more distant from opponent and not facing front on.

What do you guys think?

I'm a bit confused by your post here. I don't think there is a difference between the two names here. I always thought mawahi-geri was "round kick" translated.

That said, it sounds like you are describing a round kick that I have seen in some Karate styles (through books, youtube, etc), and what I have learned in TKD as a round kick.

Personally, I prefer the TKD round kick, for a few reasons. 1. The pivot allows the hip to open up more, allowing for more range to targets, and more follow through; thus, I feel, a more powerful kick. 2. The pivot also spares the knee, I think. If you are kicking lower, I don't think as much pivot is required. However, the higher you go, the more you need to pivot to get power and range, and to save stress on the knee.

Just my thoughts.

We chamber our round kicks with the knee/leg basically horizontal, and as parallel to the ground as possible. I'm having trouble viewing any videos, but I imagine it is similar to what Tonydee does. I agree that it delivers more power, and allows for more options to kicking high or low. The body is back a bit more, but its harder to elude the kick with a simple side step, as the pivot allows it to be carried through farther, allowing for adjustment.

I was confused a bit by mawashi geri vs traditional roundhouse kick too. Anyway since the terminology isn't what the topics about: I think from the videos you guys posted I personally prefer the mawashi geri over the "traditional" because you can get more mass so you get more power. The traditional is faster to throw and can be disguised because of the chamber. Although having said that, if you are kicking fast enough, concerns over your opponent identifying the chambering position shouldn't matter too much as its a transition stage and they won't be able to react quick enough.

The version we get taught in our style is more like what Brian described. But in sparring the movement gets cut shorter for speed, so more like a hybrid of the two versions.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Specifics of foot, body, and leg positions are adjustments made to the "round" kick in order to accommodate, distance, openings, etc. in the heat of a match. Each form of the kick has consequences for openings and counterattacks, but no mater how you use it, if you can hit (with adequate power) first, the technique is successful.

In kata or basic practice, the kick will have a specific form for the benefit of instructions, or perhaps safety. The varieties of the kick only make themselves apparent in free sparring where the conditions are rapidly changing.

In kata or basic practice, the kick will have a specific form for the benefit of instructions, or perhaps safety. The varieties of the kick only make themselves apparent in free sparring where the conditions are rapidly changing.

I remember an old Peyton Quinn video (VHS days), in which he explained that when in an actual situation, form will break down, that it won't be exactly as you'd practiced. He then pointed out that if there's no form to begin with, it breaks down into nothing.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu