• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Right In The Kisser!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Imo if an instructor asks an advanced student to go for it, you'd expect them to try. And some will really try, and not be "polite". You can't blame them.

Oh yes I can; control is the key, in this hypothetical, ESPECIALLY if your an advanced student. Can't demonstrate control when it's required...well...then the essense of the drill/test is being missed, imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I don't know.

Personally, I think that if you're going to do skill building and testing this way you'll likely get hit at some point. It's one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan of such displays. If you're doing this, you'll get hit at some point. I don't think you can make an issue.

Attitude however, can be problematic. If he intentionally did it, that's an issue. Still, it's hard to say what his intent was. I'd ask him about it and based on his answer probably keep my eye on him. If issues abound then there is only so long you can keep him around.

Yes there is a difference between asking the student to show how much control and "try to hit me". My bad. But as such I'm not really a fan of either because it can turn out to be a lose-lose situation for the student. Too much control (as in being afraid to get close to the instructor) the student gets scolded. If the student gets too close/hits the instructor they get scolded as well. I once graced the nose of a 7th dan with an iaito during such a display because first he scolded me for not trying, and when I really tried he couldn't get out of the way fast enough. Not cool.

IMO, this can not happen. Its virtually impossible for any advanced karateka to get hit in a prearranged situation. Especially in the case of pairing up against someone outside your class, Sensei will be especially alert, and set distance advantageous to himself.

But having said that, guess I didn't answer the question.

I would have him do it again, this time with control. I would further explain that if he makes contact again, I get to return the favor.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."