• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

do you tell people that you do martial arts

If they ask, I tell them. Its pretty much that simple. Of course, if I am in a bar and it comes up, I might ask for a bit of discretion from them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I think Brickshooter has it figured out. Maybe he's just smart for a muscular guy though. hehe.

I like to talk about karate but other than martial artists, nobody is really interested. Except for those guys that want you to teach them some quick, easy technique to win any fight. When I say the quickest, easiest way I know to win fights is to practice 5-10 hours a week they lose interest.

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

I don't usually talk about it with people. I don't know why, but it feels akward to me-- like discussing religion or politics. Probably because I assume they'll throw out some stereotype that will put down martial arts, which I care about, and I don't like people putting down things I care about, which is why I tend not to talk about those things with people unless I know they're coming from the same place (hence why I talk martial arts just fine with other martial artists).

• 2 months later...

Ninja outfits look sadly silly unless you're going to a small party of close friends only.

Being discreet about martial arts, the study of violence to preserve or restore peace and health, can often be miss understood and miss represented.

Osu

I like MMA.

I don't tell people unless they come to me and express an interest. Some people think that is odd since I own a school, but, I advertise through fliers given to our local middle, high school, and colleges and that has provided me with more than enough students. Often times students that have been training for a while, bring others to watch and I am always glad to answer their questions, but, when outside of the school, I only mention it when someone asked.

Sensei Kellam

Karate is a way of life!

http://cranemartialarts.ecrater.com/

• 2 months later...

everyone i've known since i was 6 years old has known i'm in martial arts. Otherwise they'd assume i'm the clumsiest most accident prone person in the world.

I promise I'm not the clown in the TAPOUT shirt at the bar demonstrating hurricanes on my girlfriend! and talking about oomplata'ng a terrorist to death.

But I've always taken my training very seriously, and MA is a very important part of my life.

Not talking about it is ridiculous, and I'd tell your friend not to take himself so seriously.

• 1 month later...

To me being an MA is a lot like being a Christian (which I also am) When the topic turns to either Karate or the Bible your friends and coworkers either want to hear more because they are interested or they think you’re nuts and change the subject. I will talk about both if the opportunity arises.

It is batter to be moved to the front then asked to step back, Unknown